Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

lighting for plants

More
25 Nov 2008 14:18 #1 by ian96 (Ian Murphy)
I have a 125 juwel rio with 2 18 watt bulbs. Is this ok for growing plants.If not what should i do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2008 14:30 #2 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
No is the short answer
You will get some plants to grow in it (low light plants) but for most plants you would need 2WPG; this would work out at about 60 watts for your tank.

What bulbs are in the tank?

LB

More
25 Nov 2008 14:30 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Ian,
a good guide is 1 watt per two liters of water for 8 -12 hours a day.

or for depth up to 40cm 20watss for the same time periods.

these are guides only but others will give you more advice later

mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
25 Nov 2008 15:08 #4 by ian96 (Ian Murphy)
i have 2 18 watt bulbs. 1 is a daylight bulb n d other is a standard bulb. what could i do to increase the light?

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2008 16:01 #5 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:lighting for plants
hi,
unfortunately you can't change the wattage unless you change light unit.
you can find high-lite(T5 bulbs) light unit in juwel which would raise the wattage up to
a total of 56W(2x28W unit).
The best you could do,if you can't get a different unit,is add some light reflectors.You could do both;).
hope this helps.
dimitri

More
25 Nov 2008 19:59 #6 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
I had the same tank, with the same lights for three years and I grew a lovely low light planted aquarium with Java Fern, Java moss, Anubias nana and crypts. Low maintenance and slow growing. I Had to remove it from the room I had it in and sold it. I loved that tank. I now have a Rio 240 in my bedroom with a high light system and pressurised Co2 system. I'm getting lush growth BUT it's way higher maintenance. So what do you want? Low light, low maintenance or high light, High maintenance.

More
25 Nov 2008 23:23 #7 by ian96 (Ian Murphy)
low maintenance sounds good. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds