Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Lighting question

More
11 Dec 2006 16:57 #1 by steven (steven)
one of my tanks currently up and running is a juwel rio 125 my main question is it has a dual lighting system with 2 18 watt day glow tubes. this tank is about 14 months old and the lighting does not seem to be as efficent as it once was is there a recommended lifetime for these tubes and how often should they be changed any help greatly appreciated....... :?: :?:

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2006 19:48 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
every 10 months

lampeye

More
12 Dec 2006 17:23 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi steven
panda is right, best to change bulbs atleast every 10 months as the spectrum burns out (kinda like candles, they loose there intensity) they can last for years but are no good for plants and you may find you grow alot of algae!
if you have the standard juwel bulbs i would always change them to better bulbs anyway, IMO

More
12 Dec 2006 17:59 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
i agree...at the moment im using interpet daylight plus bulbs. youd be suprised how differnt the colours (ofyour fish and plants) look wit hdifferent lights. zig is the man when it comes to lights...
check out this post

www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

Personally i think it comes down to personal viewing preferences when looking at your tank, a lot of emphasis is placed on the colour temprature of various tubes (the colour of the tubes output measured in degrees kelvin or k) but this is only one factor that should be considered for example, it is widely regarded that tubes between 5500k and 6700k are in the best range for photosynthesis to take place, but this is really only a generalisation as different manufacturer's 6500k tubes will have very different spectral outputs, in other words one manufacturer's tube will vary widely from a different manufacturer although both will claim their tubes are 6500k, and if you compare the spectrum graphs and you will find that this is the case.

Its generally regarded nowadays that light intensity is more important than colour temprature, basically as long as there is enough light produced, plants will grow.

Any tube between 3000k to 14000k will grow plants as long as most of its output is in the red end of the spectrum and only a little in the blue end, tubes that have their main output in the blue end of the spectrum are not recommended, these are mainly for marine setups, tubes with there main spectral output in the blue end of the spectrum will cause algae growth in a freshwater setup.

Heres just a basic rundown on some tubes i have used and the different colour hues they give for viewing purposes.

Interpet Daylight Plus-6500k-cool white (very good light for viewing purposes IMO)

Interpet Triton/Triplus-8300k-White purple

Arcadia Freshwater-7500k-White green

Arcadia Origional Tropical-?k-Pink (avoid, light intensity is also low)

Hagen Life-Glo-6700k-Bright cool white

Zoo Med-Tropic sun-5500k-Warm white

Zoo Med-Ultra Sun-Bright cool white

ASL Daylight-7100k White with tint of green (using these ATM)

ASL Freshwater Tropical (powercompact) 7100+8000k White and pink mixed.

I have used all the above with prettty good results, normally these days i will choose tubes based on the colour output for viewing purposes and i always use good reflectors, if you choose tubes between 5500 and 7000k you cant go far wrong IMO.

HTH

lampeye

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2006 03:00 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Lighting question
Hi Steven,
sorry for the late reply. I've been out of the country for 10 days.
You can do this cheaper. Go to any electrical supply store and get one warm white and one daylight tube. This will do perfectly well and they cost about 3 Euro each. You might have to change the connections in your hood slightly since Jewel use non standard tube length. I guess they want to make sure that you buy the tubes that are specially made for the aquarium trade.
The optimimun temperature to grow plants is about 6800 k.

Holger

More
21 Dec 2006 16:05 #6 by steven (steven)
fair play to you guys have change them since i posted and things are looking like they used to cheers lads

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds