Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Juwel Internal Box Filters & Heaters

More
06 Jan 2009 20:49 - 06 Jan 2009 20:52 #1 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Sorry if this has been covered before but I've been experiencing a problem and it's a strange one.

Setup a Juwel Lido 120 for my son for Christmas. Everything working fine except the heater can't get the water temp up above 70-71 degrees no matter how high I have the thermostat set on the heater!

I know it's really cold out and the Juwel heater for this tank is only 100W but I have tried another heater (200W) and same problem.

Could it be that the heater being housed inside the filter only heats the water immediately around it and triggers the thermostat to knock off before its pumped away? The powerhead is a 600 lph model and is working fine.

I put the 200w heater I have outside the filter box attached to the glass with 2 suction cups and it's working fine!

Surely Juwel filters are designed for the heaters to work correctly inside them as thats where the heater is designed to go!

Any advice?

Thanks.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2009 20:52 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2009 20:55 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Don,t know if this is the fix to your problem , but are you putting the heater in the slot for the filter materials??

The heater goes in the slot behind the filter box and the heat is pumped around the tank by means of the pump, maybe this is why the heat of the tank is not raising sufficiently.

Hope it helps

GB

More
06 Jan 2009 21:11 #3 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
It sounds strange that the heater is not working when you put it in the filter box.Are you pushing the heater all the way down in the box making sure it is under the pump on the left hand side.I have 2 juwel rekord 96 tanks running for over a year and the temp in the tanks always stays the same.

More
06 Jan 2009 22:45 #4 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
gerryberry wrote:

Don,t know if this is the fix to your problem , but are you putting the heater in the slot for the filter materials??

The heater goes in the slot behind the filter box and the heat is pumped around the tank by means of the pump, maybe this is why the heat of the tank is not raising sufficiently.

Hope it helps

GB

No, the heater is in the slot behind the filter box. I tried putting it both on the left and right hand sides.

The pump is working correctly but the temp is not getting up. Strange one this.

More
06 Jan 2009 22:47 #5 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Orca wrote:

It sounds strange that the heater is not working when you put it in the filter box.Are you pushing the heater all the way down in the box making sure it is under the pump on the left hand side.I have 2 juwel rekord 96 tanks running for over a year and the temp in the tanks always stays the same.

Yeah, I do have the heater pushed all the way down.

You have never had this problem then? I'm a bit stumped by this one.

More
07 Jan 2009 00:07 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
This brand has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to heaters.I have a few of their tanks,and to change temp by a degree or two often requires cranking the heater dial around quite a bit.
I would suggest buying a new heater,Tetratec,Jager,Visitherm,etc,and putting the original in a drawer for emergencies.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
07 Jan 2009 00:15 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I throw out juwel heaters as they are the only ones that have ever failed on me, several times at that, however while you are getting a replacement, double check the order of the sponges and that the water is able to be drawn free through them by the powerhead, because that should draw the water over the heater.

It would not make sense for the heater to work outside the box and not inside other than its and installation problem.

Let's know how you get on.

Daragh

More
07 Jan 2009 15:30 #8 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Acara wrote:

This brand has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to heaters.I have a few of their tanks,and to change temp by a degree or two often requires cranking the heater dial around quite a bit.
I would suggest buying a new heater,Tetratec,Jager,Visitherm,etc,and putting the original in a drawer for emergencies.

I have replaced the Juwel heater with a 200W Visitherm and even this does not work correctly inside the filter box. Works perfectly if I have it externally. :huh:

More
07 Jan 2009 15:34 #9 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

I throw out juwel heaters as they are the only ones that have ever failed on me, several times at that, however while you are getting a replacement, double check the order of the sponges and that the water is able to be drawn free through them by the powerhead, because that should draw the water over the heater.

It would not make sense for the heater to work outside the box and not inside other than its and installation problem.

Let's know how you get on.

Daragh

Sponge order (top to bottom) is in top bay: white filter pad, 2 x coarse sponges; in bottom bay: 1 x seeded sponge from other filter (it's about same size as juwel but not as thick),2 x fine sponges. Have a venturi connected to output and theres a real good flow.

More
07 Jan 2009 18:38 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
The flow around the Lido 120 is shown in the attachment at the end of page three and the order for teh sponges on page four. Just check they are correct. Not all juwels have the same circulation route.

www.juwel-aquarium.de/data/Pdf/gbw/en/Lido_120.pdf

Daragh

More
07 Jan 2009 21:29 #11 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

The flow around the Lido 120 is shown in the attachment at the end of page three and the order for teh sponges on page four. Just check they are correct. Not all juwels have the same circulation route.

www.juwel-aquarium.de/data/Pdf/gbw/en/Lido_120.pdf

Daragh

Can see the flow from the manual hence the white filter pad being top. I think I have the sponges all in correct and the pump is circulating the water at good rate so i'm bloody baffled!!

Might try putting the replacement 200w heater back in for another go making sure its seated all the way down.

Tks for the link to the manual.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds