Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Additional filter

More
24 Jan 2009 20:39 #1 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Have a juwel 240 at the moment with the standard juwel internal filter system for that size tank. I am thinking of getting an additional external filter but as usual i am spoiled for choice and need advice.

Thinking of a filter of about 700 litre/h but i am just pulling that figure from the sky :silly: :silly: I really want one that will give me the largest scope to change my fish type / stock over time.

Also i need one that is seriously quite when running:dry: :dry:

Cheers

GB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2009 20:44 - 24 Jan 2009 20:54 #2 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Tetratec EX 1200 for 200 - 500 Liter Aquariums is you man.

Yours for €134.85 (free carriage) from zooplus.ie

:)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2009 20:54 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire).

More
24 Jan 2009 20:51 #3 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
imo

get an ex 1200,
the 700 is way too small for a 240l

i have an ex600 on a 54l and its adequate
not that strong at all really

the figures quoted for the flow on the filters
is optimistic at best

i am putting a 1200 on a 100l tank

rgds

More
25 Jan 2009 14:38 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ex 1200 on a 100 litre! Bit much dont you think four!!?! Your tank will be spotless!
Gerry, Id go with a ex 1200 on that size tank of yours alright. Fluval also do some good filters.
I use a tetratec and find it perfect.

Gavin

More
25 Jan 2009 21:25 #5 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Do all external filters come with a spray bar for the return?

Is it possible to stick the spray bar on the side of the tank instead of the back as i have a 3D backround stuck in place

Cheers

GB

More
25 Jan 2009 21:30 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If the tank hood allows it then yes. Alternative you may have to cut some of the spray bar as it may be too long for the width of the tank.
Also if you are getting the tetratec external filter (or any other for that matter),Id advise also getting a narrow wire brush as your pipes will get quite dirty over a period of time.
(I mention that as Ive just cleaned my spray bars today and they were dirty enough to be honest).
Gavin

More
25 Jan 2009 21:37 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Gavin would you know if the hood of a juwel 240 is suitable for this side mounting or maybe if i placed it below the water level pointing up it would solve the problem.

Any taughts

GB

More
25 Jan 2009 21:52 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well if you point it into the water you may not get the water exposed to the air as much. To be honest you wont need the spray bar really, you just need the water outlet which will fit on the width of the tank. Do you need alot of current or little ? The spray bar wont fit the width to be honest. You could do some DIY on the spray bar and drill some holes on it and shorten it, I think thats your best bet.
Gavin

More
25 Jan 2009 22:16 #9 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
I won't need a lot of current Gavin, will be keeping the internal filter so that should provide sufficent water movement. basically what i am looking for is additional filtration that is best hidden from view.

Have seen some filters with two large pipes in tanks basically drain and return, then i have seen some with one pipe in tank the drain, and a spray bar type return. The filter with the spray bar definitely looks less obvious in the tank so if i can do some diy it appears it will work fine. I hope:unsure: :unsure:

Does it make a difference if the spray bar in above or below water level??

GB

More
25 Jan 2009 22:27 #10 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
GB, go for the largest filter you can get your hands on, the flow can be spread out and dampened by the way you put filter media into it

LB

More
25 Jan 2009 22:46 #11 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Hi LB
Looking on zooplus.ie and they have a tetratec ex1200 or a Eheim 2222 or Eheim 2224. I have to find out the tank size rating and litre/h of the two Eheim filters.

Which brand would be better do you think?

the flow can be spread out and dampened by the way you put filter media into it

Is the filter media quantity and layout not predetermined by each filter, how do you adjust the flow or dampening of the output.

Cheers

GB

More
25 Jan 2009 23:15 #12 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
you can get a 1200 posted to ireland
for about 100e from ebay

More
26 Jan 2009 09:58 #13 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
gerryberry wrote:

Which brand would be better do you think?

Is the filter media quantity and layout not predetermined by each filter, how do you adjust the flow or dampening of the output.

Cheers

GB

GB I could not advise on brands, they all do the same thing IMO
I would pick the filter that claimed to have the highest LPH output
even if they claim to pump 1200lph it will probably only pump that if the filter has no media in it, so if you do get a filter and then think you have too much power adding extra media to it will reduce the flow and you could also split the output hose to have 2 outputs

LB

More
26 Jan 2009 10:52 - 26 Jan 2009 10:56 #14 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi

i have never owned one but Eheim
are generally regarded as the best there is,
and you will always see them highly recommended
but you will pay for them!

the eheim 2224 is 700lph, too small IMO

rgds

Last edit: 26 Jan 2009 10:56 by fourmations (NIall SMyth).

More
26 Jan 2009 19:22 #15 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Thanks for the help LB and Fourmations, it seems the Tetratec ex1200 is the one to get so have to try ebay or zooplus.ie to see which is the best. It seems that the filter is very adaptable on the set-up and operational control so i guess the only way to find out is to get one and mess around with it.

Thanks again

GB

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds