Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Juwel Light Bar For Lido 120 Broken!

More
30 Jan 2009 11:07 - 30 Jan 2009 11:52 #1 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
I'm in the position a lot of people have found themselves in, namely their Juwel light bar has packed in. Problem is the electronic ballast inside the sealed light bar so its either replace the light bar or try to fix it.

I then thought of another idea; upgrade the lighting to T5 lighting as i'd been thinking of this anyhow.

Found the following forum thread www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=267579 Check out the link to 'Doresy's post' in the second paragraph for instructions to a T8 ballast replacement rather than a complete T5 upgrade.

Looks like it's pretty easy to do this so i'm gonna give it a go.

:)

P.S. Does anyone know if you have to match the bulb wattage exactly to the ballast rated wattage or can you use a lesser bulb wattage? For example if I have a 2 x 18W electronic ballast can I use 2 x 15W tubes with it or must it be 2 x 18W tubes exactly?

Tks.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2009 11:52 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2009 15:19 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
dont know about ballast etc, but the light units come with a 2 year guarantee. if your light unit is less than 2 years old just bring it back to the shop u got it in and they will replace it.

lampeye

More
30 Jan 2009 19:47 #3 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
I have 4 T8's on my tank 2 of them are run off the light bar and 2 of them are run of ballasts stored behind the tank.
When the light bar goes on my tank I will just buy 2 more ballasts, I don’t think I would go to the bother of opening the light bar.

LB

More
30 Jan 2009 20:12 #4 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
LimerickBandit wrote:

I have 4 T8's on my tank 2 of them are run off the light bar and 2 of them are run of ballasts stored behind the tank.
When the light bar goes on my tank I will just buy 2 more ballasts, I don’t think I would go to the bother of opening the light bar.

LB

Arcadia do a double lamp ballast LB; so you can run 4 lamps off 2 ballasts.

More
30 Jan 2009 20:32 #5 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
[/quote]

Arcadia do a double lamp ballast LB; so you can run 4 lamps off 2 ballasts.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, i didnt know that :)

More
30 Jan 2009 23:25 #6 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
P.S. Does anyone know if you have to match the bulb wattage exactly to the ballast rated wattage or can you use a lesser bulb wattage? For example if I have a 2 x 18W electronic ballast can I use 2 x 15W tubes with it or must it be 2 x 18W tubes exactly?

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds