Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Heater not working?

More
05 Mar 2009 23:00 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ok so here's the story,wee bit of white spot still in one of my tanks so Ive taken out corys,hong kong plecos to a quarantine tank, and shrimp to another as I am going to half does the hong kongs plecos and corys. The main tank Im doing a 100% full dose treatment and raising temp to 28c. However no matter how much Ive turned the heater up it seems stuck on about 24c. Ive put two different thermometers in just in case they were wrong but the heater seems stuck. Ive it on 29c and will check in the morning but its just not happening for me :(

I dont know how to recollaberate it or indeed if I actually can! I have another spare heater that is also prone to acting up at times. Im going to check the temp tomorrow morning and see if the temp has risen,if not I'll put the other thermometer also in the tank as Ill be at home over the weekend. The heater has only be used for just over a year,its not broken in terms of heating the tank but its not actually heating it to the correct temp. Anyone have a solution or alternatively anyone in the Cork area able to give me a lend of one? Tank size is only 90 litre.

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2009 23:05 #2 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Hi Gavin
Is the light (neon on the heater) coming on at all or can you hear a click when you turn the knob on the heater...?

Lar

More
05 Mar 2009 23:08 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
The light come on alright Lar.
Gavin

More
05 Mar 2009 23:09 #4 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
Maybe the heater is on all the time and can only maintain that temperature? Or maybe it is off:dry:

More
05 Mar 2009 23:10 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Could be struggling to maintain it Im thinking alright.

More
05 Mar 2009 23:15 #6 by alkiely (alan kiely)
my mate was just tellin me that a few days ago the his heater cant heat his tank over 26c not sure of the size but its 6foot long he put a heater in the other end of his tank moved the temomitor(spelled wrong) to the middle and then ajusted both heaters till he got his stable at 28c it sounds messy but if its only for a short time well its worth a shotr if ur stuck.

More
05 Mar 2009 23:17 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Nothing messy about,anyone with a tank that size needs at least 2 heaters in there in case one fails and the other can kick in then. hence what I will probably do with the spare heater I have but must make sure that works first. Again its only for about 5 days anyhow.

More
05 Mar 2009 23:22 #8 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Well then id go with that if its only for 5 days. hope it works

More
05 Mar 2009 23:23 #9 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
Hi Gavin.

Sounds like maybe the thermostat in the heater is acting up.

Tony

More
05 Mar 2009 23:29 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I think it could be cooked pardon the pun!

More
05 Mar 2009 23:41 #11 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Is it a Juwel heater?

If so I have had several that will not increase temp after a time regardless of how much you turn the knowb up, I gave up on Juwel heaters and replaced them all, they are IME the most unreliable heaters I have ever come across.

Daragh

More
06 Mar 2009 00:14 #12 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Gavin
Leave it turned on tonight and check in the mornin,maybe it's taking it's time....:unsure: :unsure:

More
06 Mar 2009 00:52 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
have to agree with Daragh re juwel heaters, best i've come across so far is Jager

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Mar 2009 09:08 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Yeah I find Jager very good. I checked it again this morning,the light is on (which I think it constantly on now),and the temp hasnt risen above where it should be. I think I'll have to pay a visit to petstop and check out a new heater. I'll have plenty of dodgy heaters then at home! (and no I wont throw them out in case I have an emergency some night,bettter to have some heat than perhaps not the approapriate heat,but Id only use them if I was in the house,dont want my fish boiling.).

Anyhow excuse to probably pick up some fish also,may a few corys or some shrimp!

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds