Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

tetratec filters

More
09 Mar 2009 20:51 #1 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Anyone any problems with a Tetratec filter, bought 2 recently, one leaked after a couple of hours so got a replacement. have the 2 up and running but getting a bit of spot leaking on the both of them. It is only slight and quite random but i guess there should be zero leaking all the time. Anyone have a similar experience or any advice.

Have to say would never buy tetratec again EVER:angry: :angry: :angry: head is parnoid all the time about a full leak, first thing i do in morning and when i come back from work is to check filters, not a nice way to be.

Cheers

GB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2009 20:56 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Hi Gerry,check the O-rings. One of them popped off when I was putting mine together also,if I hadnt spotted it Id of been in trouble. Also drill a hole about an inch or two below the water level on the inlet,that way if it does leak then it will only run the pump dry rather than suck the whole tank dry and in the process leak all over your house! Do you know what I mean by that?

Gavin

More
09 Mar 2009 21:03 #3 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Yea Gavin, know exactly what you mean about the drill hole on the inlet pipe, only done 1 so far as i was planning to keeping a filter going while i was doing water changes but sounds a bit silly now as i would put money on it that if one goes it will be the undrilled one:blush: :blush: .

Had a good look at the o-rings and everything seeems fine with them, put a bit of vaseline on them as recommended on startup but wiped away any excess last nite to make sure this was,nt causing the leak.

Cheers

GB

More
09 Mar 2009 21:10 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Check that the rubbers on the tetratec arent twisted or anything. It can on occassions. Also make sure the filter trays are in correctly,ie all with the hole face the same way.
I know youve probably already checked that but its about all I can think of. Alternatively try and pin point the place of the leak and bring the filters back.

Gavin

More
09 Mar 2009 21:14 #5 by peter (peter campbell)
ive never had a problem with tetratec filters.find where the leak is coming from id say somthing is not tight.maybe disasemble and reasemble it to be sure.

More
09 Mar 2009 21:14 #6 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Just gave both filters a good look at, strange!!!!!! Both are spot leaking at the same place, lifted the front clamp, the one just below the tubing entry and that is where there are a few specks of water. Have the clamp left open now to see if i can see exactly where the water is coming from.Better remember to close them before i go to bed:)

GB

More
10 Mar 2009 00:41 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
This seems to be a common problem with the tetratec filters.
I have had a few of them leak and i know of others that had the same problem.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2009 08:18 - 10 Mar 2009 08:40 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:tetratec filters
I am running three at the moment, never had a problem with any of them, no leaks either.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2009 08:40 by Didihno (Didihno).

More
19 Mar 2009 19:47 #9 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
HY,
bought one used one-leaking-bought one new one -not leaking-so 50:50.

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
19 Mar 2009 20:08 #10 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Contacted Tetratec and after a long wait final got a response. They said there was problems with the hose adapter units on a few batches made and this fault resulted in leaking around the front clamping unit. This was where i had my leaking from so i am getting new adapter units send over from the UK for free.They are meant to be leak free so far in the units they sent out for replacements.
Ended up sending my filter back that i bought on zooplus and got a refund and went over to AV where i got 2 new ones from Drew that i order of their new website. They worked out the same price as zooplus and have the added bonus of being local if there are any problems. I have them up and running for close on a week now and no leaks so far, i only got a day or two from the ones off zooplus before i had problems.

I have email address for tetratec if you want to get new hose adapter units.

Cheers

GB

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds