Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Improving Lights on a Trigon 190

More
10 Feb 2006 08:01 #1 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Im looking to improve the lighting on a Trigon 190

At the moment im thinking to buy a new T5 starter unit and add a 30W tube, i think the best place to place it will be the back cover of the tank lid.

I will like to know what to get and which is the best way to connect it... Any other additional information will be GREAT!

Cheers
Pablo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2006 13:03 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
I think your best option of lighting for inside the enclosure would be some compact T5's made by interpet, a 23" tube will give out 55 watts of power.

The best option to go for if you lack space in your hood.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
10 Feb 2006 16:50 #3 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Sounds good.... how much??

More
12 Feb 2006 15:51 #4 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Depends what wattage units you will need? 36watt, 55 watt, doubles etc.

Starter units range from 35-70 euro approx, bulbs from 18 -30 approx.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
12 Feb 2006 16:34 #5 by zig (zig)
Just a word of warning, ive had nothing but problems with Interpet power compact fittings, there is a problem with these units in that the tube gets incredably hot particularily in an enclosed hood, and basically the rubber houseing around the tube melts and makes it impossible to remove the tube, on another board where i am a member loads of people have had this problem, its a pity because they are about the cheapest option out there for PC lighting. Until they resolve this issue i would avoid them because 6 months down the road they are useless, this problem is most common with the 55 watt versions.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2006 06:00 #6 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic I can seriously recommend a pendant system
I finally got around to installing the pendant system on saturday.

Because a pendant is above the water, your plants will likely flower out of the top of the tank, and you will get lucious growth as a result. I'm considering getting another one for my discustank. Probably T5 and not halides, too much evaporation with the hight discus temps anyway...

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2006 06:29 #7 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic Re: Improving Lights on a Trigon 190
After running the T5's for a while now, I am forced to do heavy pruning on a weekly basis. otherwise there is not enough light penetrating the bottom layers, and the lower level plants grow more slowly.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds