Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help me pinpoint the problem

More
28 Apr 2009 13:30 #1 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
I have a tetratec 700 that is constantly slowing down to a halt,
It isn't clogged with dirt, I cleaned the hoses not too long ago.
What could be wrong with this?
Any known faults on these?
Thanks for thinking along

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2009 13:38 - 28 Apr 2009 16:25 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
The only fault I know of with these is a leak in the hose adaptor unit(the bit at the top that lifts out that the hoses go into),it is a manufacturing fault in a batch and will be replaced free of charge.However,yours isnt doing that,how old is it,is it still under warranty,I would read the manual,should be a troubleshooting section,if no joy,go to the where you bought it and start talking about warranties.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 16:25 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
28 Apr 2009 13:48 #3 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
you can test the flow if for instnce you dont have any media in the cannister, then if it does konk for some reason, try to uninstall the parts of the cover and re-install just to complete the trouble shoot otherwise its probably manufacture's defect or wear and tear which may require you to have it checked.

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
28 Apr 2009 14:27 - 28 Apr 2009 14:27 #4 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
Thanks for the reply, I went through the manual and hopefully found it, I have my outlet under the waterline and air bubbles might have been in my filter, I took 2 buckets out of the tank, emptied the filter and started over, It is coming out good now but I am going to leave the outlet over the waterline for 24 hrs and see did this do the job.
Thanks for thinking along Dave and Ian
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 14:27 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick).

More
28 Apr 2009 16:30 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
The positioning of the spraybar in relation to water level should have no effect on the running of the filter.Some have it above the waterline,some below,it all depends on what you are doing with the tank.
Maybe the filter is sitting too low,ie it cant handle pumping the water back up to the height at which the outlet is? The max head height recomended for the 700 is 1.5mtr,I wouldn't think yours would be that high?

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
28 Apr 2009 16:49 #6 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
No it is a standard juwel Rio cabinet, I think what I might have done wrong previously is filled up the tank before 'priming'the filter, it stated in the manual the spraybar should be above the waterline for this.
I hope this is it, because I don't want to send the filter back, I have a 2nd running but i dunno how long it would take for the filter to be send back

More
28 Apr 2009 18:49 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
You may need to prime it a few times, it often does this when Im cleaning the tank also, it needs a kickstart if you like. Adjust the flow outlet tap a little as well as the inlet tap. Usually mine comes good after a while of doing that. Also found that placing a towel under the filter considerably reduces any noise it may make! :)

Gavin

More
28 Apr 2009 20:07 #8 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
I normally have both taps open as far as possible, should I not do it this way?

More
28 Apr 2009 20:19 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
No thats fine, I just find sometimes when I adjust mine it works. you can open them up again then fully.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds