Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best External?

More
28 Jul 2009 17:40 #1 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
just wondering what would be a good external filter to go for i have a rio 180 and im gonna get one when im back off my holidays

who makes the best external?

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 18:58 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Lots of good options out there now. Fluval do nice ones or so Im told.Personally I find the tetratec very good and wondeful value. I can only say positive things about Tetratec externals anyhow. Have a look around, there are lots of externals on the market at the moment. Also overfilter the tank if you can.
Gavin

More
28 Jul 2009 19:40 - 30 Jul 2009 20:35 #3 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hi Stephen,
I cant give you a straigt answer but i try to help you.My favourite filters are the Fluvals (have 5 fx5s and 1 405 never had a problem)-value for money.Have 1 Eheim-never a problem,too but compared to Fluval way more money for the same result.Tetra had 2 tetratec 1200 one caused a leak(brand new one)the other is good but lost the faith in Tetra since they admitted the faulty series but never went for a recall:( .Sera has a very good option out with an integrated uv light and good value.Then you have Jbl,Aquael,Aquaone......which i have no expirience with.Hope it helps,Tim.
P.s.Price around-big differences out there!!!!!

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2009 20:35 by Frontosa (Tim kruger).

More
28 Jul 2009 20:22 #4 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Similar to frontosa comment on tetratec,bought online and ended up sending 6 of them back due to leaking. Seems there was a manufacturig fault but in fairness to tetratec they did send replacement parts.
Ended up buying 2 ex1200 up in AV and have to say since they have being setup they are brillant. I only ever used tetratec so cannot comment on other makes, when buying my own i researched loads and its seems eheim is number one but most expensive then fluval and tetratec next but everyone will have there own views on the best based on there own experience.

recommend you buy local as online purchased items can be a pain in the a**e if they are faulty.

Good luck in the one you choose

GB

More
29 Jul 2009 01:01 #5 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Hi Stephen,

I have two fluvals one 205 and one 405 and they work brill never tried any of the rest but would definately recommend them.

Mick

More
29 Jul 2009 07:25 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Mick personally I prefer the Eheims I use them exclusively now on my tanks and never a bother with them, had the fluvals 205 and 405 models but traded up in my opinion to the eheims, either way both i've used both i'm happy with so really its a personal and financial decision but i must say i've found it easier to get parts for eheim externals

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
29 Jul 2009 09:34 #7 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I have used Eheims and Fluvals (the older x03 series) filters.
I have a Fluval 403 running for about 15 years now, only every had to replace the impeller once. It's simple and just keeps going. Would throughly recommend them if you can still get your hands on one.
Personally, I think the Eheims are the best but too expensive for what they are compared to other filters.

Darragh

More
29 Jul 2009 09:48 - 29 Jul 2009 09:52 #8 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
hi
I can add some insight for JBL. I'm using JBL CrystalProfi e1500 now and according to size of it and liters/h against price i think it's worth considering. have mine for almost 2 years and it's sound and very quiet i must add.
That's where i got it so have a look, the shop is in germany and shipping is around 16euro, they have great selection.

www.reptilica.de/index.php/category/Filters_(2_1303)

by the way i was using fluval 204(older series) for over 8 years constantly, still in use from time to time in breeding tank :-)
Last edit: 29 Jul 2009 09:52 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
29 Jul 2009 19:11 #9 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
thanks everybody for the advice i think im gonna go with a eheim i know its pricey but it is lookin like the best one to go for

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
29 Jul 2009 19:13 - 29 Jul 2009 19:15 #10 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
also mick i have some floating plants if you want some ever since i moved onto T5's they are thriving and now i have too much

just let me know when you want a bit

or anyone else for that fact be warned it grows like wild fire looks great though haha

Last edit: 29 Jul 2009 19:15 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer).

More
29 Jul 2009 20:51 #11 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Stephen i would go with the sera external with the uv light if you have white spot in the tank a uv will help stop the spread and also kill pathogens in the water which will stop pretty much ant bacterial diseases in ur tank.

seen them on ebay for 105euro for the 400l with the uv.

Alan

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds