Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Blown Heater!

More
03 Oct 2009 13:59 - 03 Oct 2009 13:59 #1 by Nozebleed (Anders Van Cranlers)
I managed to blow my 300W heater while doing a water change this morning...stupid as fcuk. im putting it down as lesson learned. im just wondering if there's a speific procedure you should follow for doing water changes regarding the heater.
I unplugged the heater removed 50% of the water...filled back to 80% and re-plugged the heater...after bout 5 mins it shattered..(only about 2 inch of heater exposed,also didn't pre heat the water)..I've done this every week for i dont know how long so i was thinking maybe with the colder weather lately the water was just that bit cooler than previous and that might have caused the blow out.

anyway its replaced now. so in future how should i do my water changes? turn heater off,wait 30 mins then start removing water? then when full wait another 30 mins before turning it back on?

thanks
Last edit: 03 Oct 2009 13:59 by Nozebleed (Anders Van Cranlers).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2009 14:59 #2 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Hi Nozebleed

are you adding cold water from the tap?

More
03 Oct 2009 15:25 #3 by Nozebleed (Anders Van Cranlers)

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2009 15:58 #4 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:Blown Heater!
Hi ,
it would be better to use cold tap water with dechlorinator and with boiled water (from the kettle for ex)to take the cold off it.don't need to be exact temperature.
that way the gradiant of temperature would be minimum and not big enough to shatter a heater.
hope this helps.
Dimitri

More
03 Oct 2009 16:28 #5 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Hi Nozebleed

First of all i'd suggest you only change 25% of the water each time.
50% is too much unless you have a very specific reason to do so.

Turn off your heater about 5 minutes before your change. Then when adding water from your tap lets say firstly into a 7 litre watering can or bucket, add about about 1/2 litre of boiled water from a boiled kettle. This will cut out any severe temperature fluctuations which your fish (and your heater) do not like. When completed make sure your heater is FULLY immersed in water. Wait 5 minutes before you turn back on again.

This will save your time, fish and heater!

All the best Dave:cheer:

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds