Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What external....?

More
28 Oct 2009 19:53 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all,

Looking for an external filter for a 400l tank havnt a clue with externals never used one before so dont really no what i should be looking for, looking for something that is cheap to run ( eco friendly )need abit of over kill too... coz im planning a heavily planted tank and fish also.

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2009 20:47 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
I think Eheim are the best in regards to the wattage used so are probably the best ecco wise.
Saying that i never used one so someone else might jump in here regarding there operation etc. I use tetratec myself and find them very good and efficient pieces of kits. Easy setup and maintenance and not that expensive to buy new.

It comes with a spraybar or simply just pumps the water back into tank depending on you preference. A mate just bought a fluval and it doesn,t have a spraybar. I don,t know if this is the same for all fluval models but i suppose you could probably do a diy verison if you decide with this brand.

One thing regarding external is that you always oversize the filter, the manufactures performance ratings should always be take with a pinch of salts so go bigger than what it says on the box

Good luck

GB

More
28 Oct 2009 23:06 #3 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
totally agree with gerryberry on this one ... i have a 120 litre myself and use a fluval 405 ..... which didn't come with a spraybar by the way ...
but i find it extremely effective

the flow control on it is very handy too

i'm sure other externals have the same thing but i have only ever used fluval so i'm sure others will let you know that info

martin

More
29 Oct 2009 20:36 #4 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
i use a eheim external i find it great low wattage and easy to set up and to maintain

only bad thing is they are the most expensive of externals and mine didnt come with a spray bar (which reminds me i need to get one!)
i've a rio 180 and the external does 200-300 lts of water so i agree with the whole idea of gettin a external that is capable of filtering more water then your tank holds

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
29 Oct 2009 21:19 #5 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
eheim all the way. I've tryed Tetratec which is very good for the price. Fluval I'm sorry but I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. You can't fault the quality of Eheim range. They do cost more though.

More
29 Oct 2009 22:16 #6 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
just tinking again Alan sometimes it is better to get 2 small externals instead of 1 big one. Gives you the ability to work on one while the other is still ticking away or if one goes faulty you have a backup built into you system.

GB

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds