Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

need help picking filter

More
23 Nov 2009 13:23 #1 by macktown (simon)
hey people need help and advice i am buying a new filter and cant decide what one to get, my tank is a 400ltr with a big variety of fish including paroon shark's red tail catfish lobster's oscar's tinfoil barb's fire eel and a few other's, now my option's on filter's are a tetra tec new for 155 euro or fluval 405 at 190 euro or a 3 month old used eheim 2227 wet/dry filter that the bio ball's need to be replaced for 130 euro. So now you have the info what do you reckon?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2009 13:31 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Hi Macktown, selling two tetratecs ex1200 at the moment,its better to have 2 filter as if one goes, or if you are working on one the other is still going.
just my opinion but best of luck either way in whatever you decided.

GB

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2009 13:43 #3 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:need help picking filter
The tetratecs are the business.
By coincidence I have Tetratecs and an Eheim on my cichlid tank - 2 X Tetratecs & 1 X Eheim wet/dry thermal.

The Tetratecs are much more powerful than the Eheim though the Eheim puts a lot of oxygen into the water because its a wet/dry.

I'm sure gerryberry would do you a nice deal on that pair of Tetratecs, thats what I would go for in your place.

More
23 Nov 2009 14:29 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
havent used tetratecs but swear by eheims they are brilliant, had a 405 but to be honest didnt like it one bit found it clogged too quickly and at times could be quite noisy, but eheims to me are the best (have an fx5 and thats brilliant too)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
23 Nov 2009 16:20 #5 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hi,
agree with GB.2 Filters on a tank are the best way.I have several Fluval Fx5`s-never a problem,very quiet and most important a gigantic filter volume of 20 l.On a 400 l Tank: 1 Fx5 and a small internal or small external would be the way I go.In my opinion you cant over filter.
Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds