Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

T5 Lighting

More
29 Jan 2007 10:06 #1 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I am currently researching equipment for a custom-build tank.
It will be 36 or 48 inchs in lenght by 24inchs deep by 24 inchs high.

I want to have a heavily planted tank and was thinking of using T5 blubs but there seems to be very few blubs decidated to specifically to planted tanks. Most of the overtank luminares available with T5 blubs are only suitable for marines.

My current thoughts are to use 4 T5 blubs each on seperate timers but I have no experience with these blubs. Has anybody used T5 blubs in their planted aquarium? Would 4 blubs be sufficent and is there blubs with a spectrum suited to planted tanks?

Thanks

Darragh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2007 14:10 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: T5 Lighting
Hi Darragh,

I did a bit of research recently as I wanted to upgrade the the lights in my tank. T5s appear to be the way to go if you want a lot of light from a relatively small tube. It's claimed that they give off up to 80% more light than a similar sized T8. They are also more efficient to run.

However, there is a trade off. Both the bulbs and the ballasts are more expensive to buy. The bulbs appear to be up to 50% more expensive, while the ballasts can be up to 100% more expensive (and more if you go for Arcadia).

I eventually went for the Interpet T5 Compacts which suited my requirements as I have a relatively small tank. These may suit your application, but you'd need 4 or 6 of them depending on the size of tank you opt for. The T5 Compacts work out cheaper than regular T5s and give out an impressive amount of light for their size.

Here's a link to the compact bulbs on aquaristic.net:

www.aquaristic.net/shop/shop.php/sid/0f1...f3266c72919.66248941

I went for the Daylight Plus bulbs which are highly recommended for plants.

And a link to the compact ballasts:

www.aquaristic.net/shop/shop.php/sid/0f1...5%20Power%20Compact/

Here is a link to the available T5 tubes which come in sizes up to 1.4m and there are versions which give off the full light spectrum for plants.

www.aquaristic.net/shop/shop.php/sid/0f1...b5980657657.66452466

And a link to the regular T5 ballasts:

www.aquaristic.net/shop/shop.php/sid/0f1...f3266c72919.66248941

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken.

More
30 Jan 2007 04:38 #3 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the info.

Is there any difference between the compact T5s and the regular T5s?

I like the form-factor of the compact T5s. I was thinking I could use 2-3 blubs per foot lenght of tank as in the diagram below using probably a mixture of 4 x DayLight plus blubs, 2x Triplus blubs and 2x Beauty plus blubs with 2 x Blue Moon blubs for morning and nighttime transition.
As blubs would be on a timer, all blubs would never be on together but I could light the tank for about 14 hours a day.

Is this overkill, should I cut back on my plans or is this suitable lighting for a good planted tank?

[code:1]

<
lenght
>
┌
┐
| | | | | | | | | | d
| | | | | | | | | | e
| T T T T T T T T | p
| 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 | t
| | h
└
┘
----front----
[/code:1]

More
30 Jan 2007 05:08 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: T5 Lighting
Darragh,

The only difference is the shape and the ballast used. They are the same technology. The compact T5s also give off more heat due to their compact size. There were reports a year or so back that the rubber around the ballast perishing on the 36w and 55w versions due to the heat. However, Interpet appear to have sorted this out. It's also recommened that the compacts be mounted behind a splash screen as they're not fully waterproof. However, I and others haven't done this and they work fine.

I only have mine in the tank about 3 weeks, but my plants are definitely growing and I know others have had very good results, particularly with the daylight plus version. I have my plants in pea gravel substrate and use Florenette A and Leafzone and they are thriving.

I think the amount of bulbs you suggest below will be fine. However, you should definitely not have them all on at the one time or you will have heat problems. The other thing you need to be aware of is that they don't throw out much light to the sides. I need two of them to get light across the length of my 1m tank (they're in there along with the supplied 25w T8s). The other issue is that they don't come with reflectors. However, you can get the standard Juwel reflectors and mount them behind the compacts as I have done (with a bit of DIY).

You need to do the maths and decide whtere 8 compact T5s works out cheaper than 4 of the standard full lenght T5 tubes.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2007 08:03 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: T5 Lighting
Hi Darragh,
don't believe all the ads about special bulbs for the planted tank. A lot of rubbish. You can buy warmwhite T5 bulbs in most electrical supply stores these days. They go for about 8€ a pop for a 56w bulb. My LFS does double starter units for T5 bulbs for the same price as T8 units. A twin starter goes for about 45€.

I'm experimenting with LED spots and cold cathode flourescent tubes at present. They use a fraction of the electricity of either a T8 or T5 bulb. Not quiet the right colour that's why you have to add a few LED spots. As I said I am experimenting.

Holger

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 12:37 #6 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Daragh
Hi Daragh
Jewel do a T5 bar called believe it or not a T5 T bar. it is the same as the normal flourecent set up but with T5 Tubes a bit picey but the light penetration Wavelength is is a lot deeper.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds