Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Extra Light on a Vision 180

More
30 Jan 2007 12:39 #1 by Alan86 (Alan86)
I was thinking of adding an extra, 3rd, light on my vision 180 planted tank!...Was just wondering if people think any problems could arise from doing this before i go drilling holes ect!...i was thinking of attaching it to the back lid of the tank, does anyon think this could be a problem? or has anyone done this even??

Alan

The money was just resting in my Account!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2007 13:11 #2 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
have a look at the rest of the lighting section here, a few of us have added extra lights to different tanks, and i will be adding two extra to my 240 over the next week or so.

May your fish be with you:

More
30 Jan 2007 13:33 #3 by Alan86 (Alan86)
kool! will do!

Would another 25W T8 be enough tho do you think?
All the plants are low - mid lighting (tho some would prob do better with more still!)
Extra light would bring the total lihting up to 1.87W/G,

Also would it be worth while getting Reflectors for all the lights?...i have a small reflector off a reckord 60 which i was using on one bulb, but would getting more increase the plant growth a lot?

Thanks!

Alan

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2007 13:45 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Extra Light on a Vision 180
Hi Alan,
fitting a 180 with an extra light bulb is no prob. I used to have one and added two extra bulbs. Reflectors are always worth the money. However, your increase in plant growth will depend if you can provide the other nutrients especially CO2.
Holger

More
30 Jan 2007 13:47 #5 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
get as higher watt as you can get for that tank, or you looking at changing to t5s and more expense. reflectors are a MUST HAVE, or you be wasting a lot of light lighting up the under of the hood. although a 60 is smaller i only have about 1.5wpg over it and mine are doing fine. you need to get as much light into the tank as poss, but again if you got low to midd plants that should work out ok. also try putting a bit extra water in the tank, just above the max line, this helps to get the light into the tank quicker and doesent have that bit more to travel b4 it gets in as it will reflect off the top of the surface.

May your fish be with you:

More
30 Jan 2007 13:55 #6 by Alan86 (Alan86)
Great!

Think ill add one to start with but leave space for a second! i already have the starter for a T8 so ill stick that in over next few days, nd get the reflectors asap!

I have a CO2 system running atm, tho i dont think its going as well as it should, Im thinking thats got to do with the poor lighting tho!

Thanks again!

Alan

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds