Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Quest for a T5 lightbulb

More
04 Feb 2010 10:11 - 04 Feb 2010 10:30 #1 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
When I did a bit of maintenance on my tank one of the bulbs gave up the ghost (at least I hope it is just a bulb and not the whole unit)
I went to my local fish shop here in lucan but he didn't have the right one (nature)(I thought) He offered to order me one but I reclined as the tank needed a new bulb that day for the lid to go back on so that my apple snails wouldn't go walkies. The price for his one was around the 38 euro mark.

I went to the a shop on the northside to see would they have the right type of bulb, they did at 55 euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked was it a double pack but no:dry: I nearly ran out of the shop that is a price difference of nearly 20 euro for the same bulb.

I am on a quest now and rang another shop for the price of the same bulb, he gave me a price of 35 euro, but it is a bit further out and I like to support my local business so I am off to the fishbowl now as he ended up having the right light after all.

Juwel themselves are quoting 26,95 but I don't know what postage comes on top being send from germany

It pays to shop around:blink:

These prices were for a 895mm Juwel High Lite bulb (T5)
Last edit: 04 Feb 2010 10:30 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick). Reason: highlighting the price difference

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2010 10:16 #2 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
try seahorse aquariums, they have a full selection of 5t and t8 freah and salt water bulbs. i got 3 bulbs there last week for €28 each, 1050mm long.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2010 10:22 - 04 Feb 2010 10:30 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Quest for a T5 lightbulb
Andy in Aquarium solutions sells those bulbs, reasonably priced.

Kev.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2010 10:30 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
04 Feb 2010 10:27 #4 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
Most shops sell them, it is the price difference which is so shocking

More
04 Feb 2010 11:29 - 04 Feb 2010 11:33 #5 by JohnH (John)
mrsFishpatrick wrote:

Most shops sell them, it is the price difference which is so shocking

Which is precisely, as you say yourself, the reason you should "shop around".

I recently looked into the economics of changing some of my lights to T5, - going slightly "off subject" - but once I worked out how much it was going to cost me I put it - as they so nicely say over here - "on the long finger".

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2010 11:33 by JohnH (John). Reason: getting rid of an unwanted grinning ball which had appeared - I hate those things!!!

More
04 Feb 2010 14:12 #6 by arabu1973 (. .)
I usually go to a electric supplier and buy daylight or cool light T5's, just as an example i bought few 80w T5's for a 5 foot luminaire for €10 each, now thats a good price;)

More
04 Feb 2010 15:00 #7 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
next time i'll be asking you were to go so:)

More
11 Feb 2010 22:17 #8 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hey arabu

where exactly do you get those bulbs?

thanks

More
11 Feb 2010 23:13 - 11 Feb 2010 23:13 #9 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
check this site out,£4.99 delivery to ireland.buy 2 get one free on t5's
www.iquatics.co.uk/
Last edit: 11 Feb 2010 23:13 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior).

More
11 Feb 2010 23:20 #10 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi ifp

cheers for the link but
its actually daylights i am after (6500k)

i have used lampspecs in the uk before
but was worried about posting t5's

i am interested as to where aruba got them locally

i dont go for the hype of aquarium branded bulbs
and would gladly buy regular decent brand t5ho's in 6500k

cheers

More
12 Feb 2010 10:34 #11 by arabu1973 (. .)
I live in Clonsilla/Blanchardstown area so i buy my bulbs in one of the electrical wholesaler shops around, i'm sure you can find one around where you live, for some of the more special electrics i use euro sales company based in slaney road in Finglas/Glasnevin;)

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds