Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

eheim filters

More
03 Feb 2007 02:03 #1 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
was looking at the instructions to these and the diagrams show that the return pipe(inlet back into the tank) should be above the water, could any one tell me is this correct please?

May your fish be with you:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2007 03:25 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: eheim filters
Neither one it should be that 50%is below water level and 50% above water level, but life is never that simple, should it be pointing anti clock wise or clock wise to get the best flow oxygenation. Any one that gets it wrong that life in the southern hemisphere is right if they live there, but I guess this vote is viewers in Europe. *northern hemisphere

Answer A. Anti clock wise :?:
Answer B Clock wise :?:

Post results up to the day before the next ITFS meeting 12th of FEB 2007

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
03 Feb 2007 03:31 #3 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
have you been on the funny juice?

More
03 Feb 2007 03:53 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Neither one it should be that 50%is below water level and 50% above water level, but life is never that simple, should it be pointing anti clock wise or clock wise to get the best flow oxygenation. Any one that gets it wrong that life in the southern hemisphere is right if they live there, but I guess this vote is viewers in Europe. *northern hemisphere

Answer A. Anti clock wise :?:
Answer B Clock wise :?:

Post results up to the day before the next ITFS meeting 12th of FEB 2007

This is not a joke all fish farms in the northern hemisphere have ALL their out lets pointing in on direction post which one you think it is and why if you think you know why.

More
03 Feb 2007 08:54 #5 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
obviously going to get no sensiable answers to this question.

More
03 Feb 2007 11:10 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I am going to give it away with a clue, fill up your sink and then take the plug out and see if the eye of the water is spinning, and repeat it 5 times to see if it changes direction randomly, then look at the direction of the wind and jet stream coming from Africa to the carribean then northern europe, and see if there is a link, if there is no link I am probally making all this up :roll:

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2007 14:07 #7 by pjq (pjq)
Replied by pjq (pjq) on topic Re: eheim filters
Mr Algae ,

I put mine a bit above the water 0,5cm so that there is a nice stream of small bubbles . Its worth adjusting it up/down and spraying diagonally so that you don't get too much splash (from the bubble burst) onto the cover .

pjq

More
03 Feb 2007 15:30 #8 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
thanks for that pjq, have it sorted now from another forum.
with a planted tank and this type of filter put on a spray bar and have the spray bar below the surface. it stops the wild curculation and loss of c02, and moves the water around as like the jewel internal.

More
04 Feb 2007 02:50 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Sorry for stalling the answer, I though it would of been good fun to let the other members post some serous and some funny posts over the next week, oviously you did not, it look like you have gone to the competition to get some quicker answers, so it sort of knock the thread on the head. :cry:

If 100% of the water is returning to the tank form the pump/mechanical filter I like to tee off the water to 2 pipes one with a tap/restrictor to reduce the flow this in turn goes to the spray bar which is in a trickle filter that is as long as the tank but very narrow, usually made of glass, while the 80% of the non restricted water comes back over a U shape eheim bend the is discharged directly into the tank, normally the main discharge is half above and half below the surface so the surface has a RACE of water at the surface at probally twice the velocity of the current say 5cm below the surface. I realise if the tank is DENSELY planted its important to keep the C02 if you are injecting it and have very few plants. But this is bad practice if the tank is a highly stocked community, in a comunity tank of even an african tank java fern (not the horrible java moss) can grown, with knowing nothing about plants, in fact in my sons african tank, its the secret whow the fry can survive being picked off till they are big enough to come out and eventually swim med water colume.

I was not making it up about the direction one should point the pump outlet, as its ugly to have the spar bar under water on view plus it look a bit amature (more pro is to make up your own ABS pipes with swimming pool mini ABS taps available from BSS piping of cork street. )
The correct direction for the outlet is clock wise, after a few minutes the earths spin will help whisk away crap in dead areas, all fish farms in the northern hemisphere have them clock wise, and in Tasmania off south Australia the have their trout farms water outlets anti clockwise.

P:S If you have a planted fan you can buy a plasma T.V in the shape of an aquarium which you mount on the wall (4inch thickness) and it play a planted tank, with movement of some fish, persumely coming from a built in hard drive. :twisted:

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds