Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Damm, Tetratec1200 leaking, water water everywhere

More
24 Mar 2010 19:37 #1 by tommyt (tommy tee)
Hi,
Moved my aquarium last night which literally meant unplugging filter, turning both valves to off, disconnecting the hose adapter unit, and lifting the main unit from one room to another. moved tank and reconnected hose unit to filter. Turned on, checked on fish - all ok then off to Bed.

am's checked all was ok but to my shock horror, water all over floor, luckily it was a drip leak as opposed to a gusher. spent morning cleaning up and oped filter to check on it, all seemed ok, cleaned our filter and reassembled, dried casing and primed and turned on, checked for leaks and nothing appeared, I had placed it in a basin incase it leaked again and checked it this evening and leaking again.

no problems with it before, anyone had experience of such a problem/filter, any suggestions?? its nearly 20 mts old and only ever opened a few times. Hasnt been kicked aroud either.
it seems to be leaking from the seal and not the Hose unit.

Thanks,
T

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2010 19:49 #2 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)

More
25 Mar 2010 00:54 #3 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)

More
25 Mar 2010 08:13 #4 by Ma (mm mm)
Seal alright.

Take the seal ring off and wash it and put vaseline on it. CLean the groove where the seal sits in aswell incase a bit of grit got on there, it only takres one grain and it will take some time for the water pressure to force the water through the tiny leak hence the leaking later after setting it up.

If it persists, seal rings are pretty cheap, usually you can get a whole set for a filter for about £5.00 online
Mark

Location D.11

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2010 08:49 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
It may not be the seal, a batch of Tetratec 1200's have faulty hose adapters that cause this leak (as I found out from having the same problem and replacing the seal). Is the leak just a trickle down one of the sides?

Tetratec will send you a replacement hose adapter if you give them a call.

More
25 Mar 2010 09:14 - 25 Mar 2010 09:27 #6 by tommyt (tommy tee)
cheers all,
I had it turned off last night and still water leaked out (it was running for a while so there was some pressure built up in it alright.

I dont see any water coming from the hose unit and appears to begin forom the latches/clips area i.e. the o ring, I will try Mark's suggestion as there is sand in the tank an some did make its way into the base of the filter.

I see how today goes after clean and failign that will get onto them.

I think even if I get it to stop leaking now another leak is only around the corner and I am lucky that the tank was moved to utility room (making space/cabinet for new tank :) ) where it initially leaked. It damaged goods in my eye at the moment.

Rgds
T

Last edit: 25 Mar 2010 09:27 by tommyt (tommy tee).

More
25 Mar 2010 09:29 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
tommyt wrote:

cheers all,
I dont see any water coming from the hose unit and appears to begin forom the latches/clips area i.e. the o ring, I will try Mark's suggestion as there is sand in the tank an some did make its way into the base of the filter.

T

Tommy as 2poc said i would be guessing its a fauilty hose pipe adapter, the leak appears to be coming from the latches but its the hose pipe adapters that are the problem. had the same problem myself on a few ex1200 models.
Contact tetratrec and they will send you out new ones at no costs,

Jeff

More
25 Mar 2010 09:35 #8 by stan (stan)
its not always the hose adopter that cause the leak, i had the exact same problem with mine and had trouble getting through to tetratec via phone but managed to get the email address of the girl who looks after the spares/problems.
when i did they sent me out a new hose adopter but it failed to solve the problem. i again contacted tetra tec and they sent me out a new motorhead which solved the problems.theyre customer service is a credit to customer service
if only some mobile and satalite tv companies could be this good

pm sent re the contacts email

stan

More
25 Mar 2010 10:17 #9 by Ma (mm mm)
Have had the hose adapter leak, pressure issue.
Wont leak like that when just filled and off ime, usually when syphoning an empty filter I get that prob until I open the out valve to equalise the pressure, haven't had a leake since tho.

Mark

Location D.11

More
25 Mar 2010 10:47 - 25 Mar 2010 11:15 #10 by tommyt (tommy tee)
guys I have attached image, when you say the 'hose adapter leak' do you mean that the water trickles out from the Red highlighted are in picture,

EDIT ** OK water is coming out from where the Hose goes into the hose unit.I suppose that if this is ahte fault hat this makes sene as this was the olny thing I removed prior to moving the filter.**

(the image shows lots of droplets on lower part of filter - you can ignore that as that was the water that split out when removing head) the normal loss of water is a steady trickle down the side)

Rgds,

T

Last edit: 25 Mar 2010 11:15 by tommyt (tommy tee).

More
25 Mar 2010 11:22 #11 by stan (stan)
tommy
the area where i had my leak was where you have marked blue but i also had water spurt out from the part where you prime the pump.

More
25 Mar 2010 12:33 #12 by tommyt (tommy tee)
hmmm its all getting messy now,

When it leaked from the hose unit i plugged out filter, closed off valves, so as no water coming from hose unit, went back to check and water coming out from blue line area of my pic, (this could be due to a pressure diff), am now worried that if I get replacement hose I will still have leak elsewhere.

T

More
25 Mar 2010 12:53 #13 by stan (stan)
tetratec will send you out a hose adopter and they say it will fix most of the problems that occur with the leaking,
they did say to me in the email that on occassion the hose adopter didnt solve the problem and had no issues with sending me out a new motor head although it did have to come from germany so took a few days

More
25 Mar 2010 15:16 #14 by NosIreland (Andrius Kozeniauskas)
Sorry to hear your filter leaked.
Had this problem myself TWICE.
The first time the hose adapter leaked and the second time powerhead.
Both times tetra support were very good and the problem was fixed.
I've found that the best thing is not to touch the hose adapter.
Instead of removing the adapter close the hose valves and remove them from the hose adapter.

More
29 Mar 2010 22:43 #15 by Deeco (Deeco)
contact tetratec they sent me a whole motorhead after second time it leaked they sent the hose adpator first time and this solved until cleaned again months later jeff sorted me with adaptor but to no avail

contact them they will have it to you within the week

You know yourself

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds