Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

juwel filter??

More
06 Feb 2007 16:27 #1 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
i have a rio 180 my dad has other tank and iv a smaller 60 tank but just wondering for my 180 with cichlids would it need another filter or is the one it comes with be ok...i also have a air pump just wondering????

o'connor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2007 17:14 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
imo you need a second filter, i know theyre folks who have only one filter but it will be much easier to look after and you will see a big difference in your clariety and health of your fish, ideally an external. they are far superior than internals and generally have better media, ceramic, bio balls etc.
then clean each filter alternatively, on bi monthly intervals, biological media in a bowl/bucket of aquarium water, carbon replaced monthly etc..., so you have one filter running 100% but do not do this to all the media at once! (because once you clean any filter media you loose bacteria, rotate the cleaning)
fishkeeping is 99% water quality!!!!!!!

More
06 Feb 2007 17:16 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
it depends how many fish you have in there. if its very overstocked then yes.

its also nice to know that if one filter fails...the other one will still be working. some people take out the juwel filter for the extra space/looks. i have a fluval 304 for my rio 180 which im really happy with.

decisions decisions decisions!

ps i agree with serratus that the externals are far superior

lampeye

More
06 Feb 2007 17:17 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Cathal,

I would agree with Serratus. The Juwel internal filter is ok, but not as good as a external cannister. It's a good idea to run the Juwel and a cannister. You should be able to pick up a cannister pretty cheap for your size of tank.

Regards,

Ken.

More
06 Feb 2007 17:53 #5 by essjay (S Jackson)
I have a Rio 400 and I'm adding an Eheim 2329 filter and running both....

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 01:49 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: juwel filter??
Personally I wouldn't go for Fluval. The sealing system sytem on them is a pain in the rear unless they have changed on the new series.

More
07 Feb 2007 07:01 #7 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
The sealing system on my Fluval 305 is easy to use. Just two clamps on either side. It can a bit hard to open at times becuase of the vacuum, but other than that it's a great filter with plenty of room for different media.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 07:32 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: juwel filter??
That is the exact problem only 2 clamps. With time they don't close properly. Get a filter model with 4 clamps (one on each corner), like tetratech, eheim, etc. Much safer and durable

More
07 Feb 2007 07:37 #9 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
and what size would suit and where would the best offers be at???

o'connor

More
07 Feb 2007 07:48 #10 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Cathal
We stock the tetratec external range, the 600 is €136.95, 700 is €156.95 and the 1200 is €195.95 or you can buy them on our website for alot less!!! i would go for the 700
cheers
Drew

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 10:22 #11 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: juwel filter??
I'm with Serratus, the second filter adds a backup and makes maintenance much easier. I have a Rio 300 and I took out the internal filter as IMO it's not very good and takes up valuable space. I replaced it with two TetraTec filters a 1200 and a 600. Externals are much handier.

Matt

More
07 Feb 2007 11:25 #12 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
Serratus what is your shop...i might check the net

o'connor

More
07 Feb 2007 14:46 #13 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi cathal
Aquatic Village, the stables,brittas,Co.Dublin www.aquatic-village.com

More
14 Feb 2007 03:58 #14 by Brendan Keogh (Brendan Keogh)
Hi,

I have never had any problems with the internal filter of the 180 with my malawi setup.But an extra filter is always going to be better.

Regards
Brendan

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds