Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

filter placement

More
11 Mar 2007 01:16 #1 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
hi all,
just a quick observation on filters and there placement and which is the best.
i have a rio240 tank 4ft. external ehiem filter. i have been trying to find the best placemet for the inlet/outlet pipes. given the likes of internal filters have inlet/outlet in the one place i would persume this would be the same for an external for them both to be at the same end of the tank. i have seen some set ups with the inlet at one end and the outlet at the other. does any one know if the pacement, one way or the other has any effect on the filtering system.
in other words is there a right way and a wrong way to have the inlet/outlet?
regards.

May your fish be with you:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 05:52 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I have a Fluval 305 and it's highly recommended that the inlet and outlet be at opposite sides of the tank. That way, you get a good circulation around the tank. This is necessary for filtration and heating.

I would be concerned that having them both on the same side would localise the circulation and could cause some dead spots on the opposite side of the tank. However, if you're still using the Juwel fiter along with your Eheim, you probably have enough circulation to avoid this problem.

Regards,

Ken.

More
11 Mar 2007 15:03 #3 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
i removed the jewel internal b4 i started. i can s exactly what you say to be true, was just wondering what every one else does as i have seen them both at the one end and in others at different ends.

May your fish be with you:

More
11 Mar 2007 15:22 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I would contend that it's way better to have them at opposite ends to ensure circulation along the length of the tank.

Regards,

Ken.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2007 16:58 #5 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: filter placement
Personally i have them both at the same end, with the water jetting clockwise round the tank, IMO i believe it brings all the rubbish to the outlet quicker. if they were at opposite ends the mulm under the pipe would take longer to get to the outlet IMO of course :lol:

More
12 Mar 2007 03:08 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Personally i have them both at the same end, with the water jetting clockwise round the tank, quote]

Unless you live in the southern hemisphere then its anti clockwise.

Even the world current do the same the current goes down in the direction from the north past the canaries then heads west at the tropics to the Caribbean the head north west towards Ireland, to give all the nice weather ther, fill up a sink and unplug the plug and and the water leaves clockwise, as the same thread 2 months ago was discuss. I think most pople though I was making it all up with a few Brandy's on me. :oops:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 03:17 #7 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: filter placement
Sorry Fr Jack, your right, it runs along the back of the tank right to left ten round the front left to right. So i missed off the ANTI :lol:

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds