Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Internal = Submersible?

More
08 Feb 2011 00:47 - 08 Feb 2011 00:52 #1 by BenEadir (John Murray)
Hi all,

Installed a new Eheim Powerline 2252 internal filter this evening & completely submersed it. The instructions only showed it being installed on a plate hung from the top of a tank with the top of the filter above the water line but I can't do that as my tank has a ledge all the way round.

The instructions don't have any large warnings saying don't submerse the filter but it does mention that some parts should not be submersed. These parts aren't specified so I''m assuming they mean the actual plug!

It's working fine at the moment but I'd like some comfort that fully submerging the filter is ok!

Thoughts or comments anyone?

Ben
Last edit: 08 Feb 2011 00:52 by BenEadir (John Murray).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2011 01:27 #2 by joey (joe watson)
it shouldn't be a problem, even though i dont have experience with eheim internals, internal filters are ok to be fully submerged its what they are designed to do

More
08 Feb 2011 13:48 #3 by BenEadir (John Murray)
Thanks Joey,

I arrived at the same conclusion but would have preferred if the instructions had spelled that out. I have a fully submerged Jad but had a niggling doubt that this particular Ehiem was only supposed to be partially submerged.

I made sure I was wearing rubber soles when I flicked the on switch at the socket and jumped back out of the way fairly quickly I can tell you!!

Thankfully all was fine and the filter is doing it's job well this morning.

Cheers,

Ben

More
08 Feb 2011 15:29 #4 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)

I made sure I was wearing rubber soles when I flicked the on switch at the socket and jumped back out of the way fairly quickly I can tell you!!

lol...

If its this one:
www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key...iendetail_27502_ehen

then you shouldn't have any problems at all. Actually that's a pretty interesting idea (to me anyway :p )having an expandable filter you can just add more "modules" (media) to...

More
08 Feb 2011 15:30 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
At the risk of sounding like a dull so and so, its no harm reminding everyone that if you are putting the hands into tank,then switch all the power off,it sounds silly but we all do it from time to time,be it to remove a piece of dirt or cucumber or whatever. Oh and make sure you turn the power on after too!! Otherwise its the fish who will get the shock,and you the next day (if ye know what I mean)!!

Gavin

More
08 Feb 2011 22:39 #6 by BenEadir (John Murray)
That's the one all right Neil. It's expensive (Almost €100) but seems a pretty solid piece of kit and I'm hoping to add an extra filter to it allright.

Fishowner, will take your reminder on board - again!!

Ben

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds