Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Digital Thermometer from Lidl

More
16 Feb 2012 12:22 #1 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Good stuff, I'll be getting one of them.

Thanks for the tip!

Melander

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 15:24 #2 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Do you just pop the end bit in the tank as well Draco?

Follow me up to Carlow

More
16 Feb 2012 16:21 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
just what the doctor ordered :)

cheers for that draco, i also will be shopping in lidl this week now :cool:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
16 Feb 2012 16:49 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
If these are like the ones I got a few years ago, then they are very good and rather cheap as well.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
16 Feb 2012 17:21 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2012 17:30 #6 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Got one of these a couple of years ago, found it useless :hammer:

More
16 Feb 2012 17:34 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
and there I was hoping that they were among the presents, along with more finger food and pints at the next CFKS meeting........

More
16 Feb 2012 18:13 #8 by ger310 (Ger .)
I'm sure these are coola boola Draco but the one and only time i used a digital thermometer was not good....Got it in a LFS and was told this is top of the range....heater was at 26c so set it up so if the water went below 23c or above 30c an alarm went off...all was fine for about 6 weeks then i noticed the temp was at just 27c so as this was 'top of the range' it must be that stupid heater playing up so i lowered the heater down a degree...looked at thermometer next day and it was back to 26c...week later it was at 28c so lowered the heater gradually down 2 degrees so it showed 26 again and decided i must get a new heater tomorrow....3am that morning the alarm went off..30.1c....panicked the fish are going to die,i went to whip the heater out and noticed the water dont feel that hot...hmmm,got a 'normal' glass thermometer from other tank and stuck it in.......23c it read,so stuck another in to be sure...23c that read...upped the heater 3degrees and 6 months later,all is good in the tank!!! just my once off experience with digital but never again!!

ps. sorry for the essay

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
16 Feb 2012 18:20 - 16 Feb 2012 18:24 #9 by dave k (david)
looks the job for that price..i will be picking one up,by the way talking about lidl was in aldi and picked up a soil ph tester for €4:99..brought it home and seems to be working spot on going by my ph test kit has any one used one of these before in their aquarium.....

dave.

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 18:24 by dave k (david).

More
16 Feb 2012 18:58 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)
thats quit interesting dave, are you just using it to test water ph?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
17 Feb 2012 01:16 #11 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

and there I was hoping that they were among the presents, along with more finger food and pints at the next CFKS meeting........

Great experience with finger food and pints :lol: Not so good with this thermometer

More
19 Feb 2012 08:42 #12 by dave k (david)
davey_c. sorry for the delay getting back to you but iam just using it for the ph reading for the water..

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
21 Feb 2012 10:23 #13 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
How much was it Chris? Did they have many left? Might pick one up on my way home today.

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.

More
22 Feb 2012 12:42 #14 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Got on of these in Arklow today, there were many more left.

Looking forward to try it out.

Melander

More
22 Feb 2012 13:43 - 22 Feb 2012 13:43 #15 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Draco wrote:

thermometer purchased and tested in the workplace, works fine, another good buy for reasonable money.

Hi Draco,

looks a good piece of kit, one question, do you mount the sensor in the tank or on the outside of the glass?
Only asking as I checked them out, ok, actually bought one, and it appears that the sensor is not a sealed unit. If placed in the tank, I think water will get into the sensor housing. Not a problem if it's a simple thermocouple in there, but may cause problems if there are any digital sensors in it. I may bring the unit to the office tomorrow and put it in the x-ray to see what's in the sensor :)

Cheers,

Bill.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 13:43 by BillG (Bill Gray). Reason: to credit the quote

More
22 Feb 2012 16:12 #16 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Draco,

thanks for that :) sounds good, i will try mine out later so.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
23 Feb 2012 13:32 #17 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Bought one yesterday and it gives a readin if 24.5 alongside me glass mercury thermometer which says 25.5. Interesting :woohoo:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
24 Feb 2012 13:28 #18 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Bought one yesterday and it gives a readin if 24.5 alongside me glass mercury thermometer which says 25.5. Interesting :woohoo:

Mine was the same, ended up going back with it after trying one in the store that was off by around 1 degree too.

Melander

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds