Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What are you going to do ?

More
10 Aug 2013 18:50 #1 by theangryman (chris)
Hello everyone

Spent a few hours today doing water changes on 3 tanks and while I was doing it the better half asked the question I knew would arise sooner or later `What are you going to do when the water meter is installed??
Have to say I didnt have an answer but need one quick as I just got a second hand 240L tank and along with the 350L and 2 120L this could start to cost a small (or big) fortune.I already have a water butt which I let the water sit in for about a week before offering it to any tank so the chemicals have time to evaporate but thinking maybe its time to get another few water butts and start on the rain collection road...
So anyone got a system like this already up and running? or have you some other plan?

Regards

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2013 19:02 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm going to sneak around to all the guys who have their butts (I always laugh when I type that) set up and siphon it off while they sleep

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 Aug 2013 19:09 #3 by des (des)
Good Question, In the back of Most Peoples Minds I think...
I'd imagine that Rain Water is going to become very popular, actually I think there is a very well put together post on the subject here somewhere, I remember reading it a while back...
search the username Anglefish to find it...

Des

More
10 Aug 2013 19:11 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I have a water butt but didn't think to clean the gutters before I installed it so I'm back to tap water until I get the ammonia out of the butt( was going to write my butt but LJ may choke laughing)

So I would suggest you clean your gutters before collecting rain water from a roof and do a full set of tests on it before you use it.

I know some people use two water butts joined with a carbon filter and use the water after it goes through the carbon.

More
10 Aug 2013 19:42 - 10 Aug 2013 19:44 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
A river runs a stone throw by our house so might google sterilising river water and see what pops up or if anything pops up. Be interesting to see what values tha water has too
Apart from that Its clean the roof and gutters for water collection B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 19:44 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
10 Aug 2013 19:53 #6 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
paying for water is criminal

More
10 Aug 2013 20:25 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Water has to be treated before you can drink it
and it has to be pumped to your house.
Its the ways it is.
But why all of a sudden do we have to pay for this specifically
when our taxes are paid to cover it ?

More
10 Aug 2013 20:25 #8 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Yeah I'm going through 600 litres a week so I'm screwed!

More
10 Aug 2013 21:21 - 10 Aug 2013 21:45 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
While I think it is morally wrong to pay for water twice, (In Taxes, via the Universal Service Charge, and now the new "water tax" ).
It should not be as horrific as many people think.
I paid water charges, in a commercial unit for a few years, using over 1500 litres a week. I never had to pay more than €63 in a two month period.
If I remember, the metre rent, was €20 of that. It was about, €1.75 a cubic metre.

Now I will just lean over the fence, and connect my hose to the local TDs garden tap!
Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 21:45 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph). Reason: Correct price

More
10 Aug 2013 21:21 #10 by ghart (Greg Hart)
The other question is for marine keepers where only RO water is used to make a salt water mix.
If I remember right one litre of RO water requires 4 litres of water to generate it .
3 litres wasted each time.

More
10 Aug 2013 22:09 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
water butt is the way for me, have about 380litres of butts at the moment, may expand that before the charges come in.... carbon on the end of the downpipe clears most of the gunk outta the water and a fluval tank sponge wedged into the top of the downpipe stops debris getting into it, a quick treatment with easy life and an airstone and its all good

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
11 Aug 2013 07:08 #12 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds