Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ro questions

More
12 Feb 2008 19:23 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
what does dublin tap water measure in tds?
whats the big difference between ro and ro/di water?
thanks in advance

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2008 20:50 #2 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
my prefilters in RO unit get dirty quite quickly so i'd say they are quite high.

Without googling it, just of the top of my head, deionized water is more 'pure' than RO water, the Deionizing pod can clean up what the RO unit has let through, which is why it is placed after the RO unit.
It takes out everything so the cleaner the water going through it the better, if the water is straight tap water, for exmaple, it would be exhausted quite quickly and are exspensive to use this way!!

Dayo ;)

More
12 Feb 2008 21:08 #3 by chris (chris)
Replied by chris (chris) on topic Re:ro questions
RO uses a semi-permeable membrane so only water molecules will pass through it. DI uses ion exchange resins, which exchange the ions in the water, such as iron, magnesium, copper for hydrogen and nitrate, sulphate, phosphate for hydroxide. RO/DI water is better quality than a straight RO system (without a DI on the end).
In Greystones tap's conductivity is 150 microsiemens.

More
12 Feb 2008 21:11 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
In Ranelagh is it consistantly 70 even though lately the pH has been going up and down, the TDS remained constant.

More
13 Feb 2008 00:44 - 13 Feb 2008 01:12 #5 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
chris wrote:

DI uses ion exchange resins, which exchange the ions in the water, such as iron, magnesium, copper for hydrogen and nitrate, sulphate, phosphate for hydroxide.

De ionizing resins don't use ion exchange, ion exchange resins are very bad, as the ions that they exchange or 'give back', mainly sodium, gradually build up in the aquarium unknownly to the fish-keeper.

De-ionizing resins attract negatively charged ions that would and do pass through Reverse osmosis membranes.. the main one and the pain for many reef keepers Silicic acid or silicate.

I had this problem in a house i lived in a few years ago until i found the source of the problem and then i worked on stopping it getting in my reef... deionizing

De-ionizing the water coming from your RO unit gives you laboratory pure water without EXCHANGING it for something you can't test for.

Dayo ;)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2008 01:12 by Darkrin (Damien Kane).

More
14 Feb 2008 21:23 #6 by chris (chris)
Replied by chris (chris) on topic Re:ro questions
In a water deionization process, the resins exchange hydrogen ions (H+) for the positively charged ions (such as nickel. copper, and sodium). and hydroxyl ions (OH-) for negatively charged sulfates, chromates, chlorides. Because the quantity of H+ and OH ions is balanced, the result of the ion exchange treatment is relatively pure, neutral water.
Deionised water does not contain silicate. It's ultra pure regarding any ions because theoretically 100% of salts are removed. It might only contain bacteria, virus or some organics.

More
14 Feb 2008 23:35 - 15 Feb 2008 12:24 #7 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
Your wording it wrong.
Ions are swapped.The resins are only swapping ions and protons.. until the end product is just H2O.

Ion exchange is like those API water softner pillows.. they take the hardness but give something back...EXCHANGE

I never said silicate was in Deionisied water. I had silicate coming through my RO... I attached a DI on the end to take out the silicate(- charged) Its the only way.

Your trying to rid yourself of crap like nickel,copper :huh: ,sodium!!...sulfates?? and chlorides... if the deionising resins exchanged or gave you these why would anyone use them????
All the crap its trapped in the resins not EXCHANGED.
The crap is trapped and either H+ or OH- is released, as there are 2 resins in the pod, H+ OH- = H2O

The end product is H2O..nothing else.

Dayo;)
Last edit: 15 Feb 2008 12:24 by Darkrin (Damien Kane).

More
14 Feb 2008 23:58 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
TDS in Walkinstown is 82 regardless of the recent ph swings.

More
15 Feb 2008 12:36 #9 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
chris wrote:

In a water deionization process, the resins exchange hydrogen ions (H+) for the positively charged ions (such as nickel. copper, and sodium). and hydroxyl ions (OH-) for negatively charged sulfates, chromates, chlorides. Because the quantity of H+ and OH ions is balanced, the result of the ion exchange treatment is relatively pure, neutral water.
Deionised water does not contain silicate. It's ultra pure regarding any ions because theoretically 100% of salts are removed. It might only contain bacteria, virus or some organics.

I see what your saying now, it is very difficult to explain .

nickel,copper and sodium is trapped releasing the (H+)
Sulfates, chromates, chlorides is trapped releasing the (OH-)

giving the pure H2O..

Dayo :blush:

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds