Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

chlorine test

More
10 Jun 2008 10:19 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I just seen that tetra are going to release a 6 in 1strip the usual 5 in 1 plus chlorine.

i have been considering if i would us it the fact that i would be using a strip with every water change plus using it for my weekly water quality check to me will work out very expensive

i am no chemist so what about the chloramine will it aleart you to this? if not and you cut back on conditioner to save cost your fish are at risk.

what are your opions

should it be a test for chlorine only?

was the six in one the right way to go but adding ammonia instead?

I would be very interested to see what people have to say about this!

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 12:00 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I'd much prefer if they added the ammonia test myself.

The Chlorine test sounds a bit like a gimmick but on the other hand it might alert some newbies to the importance of dechlorinating the water.

I'm sure this would lead to knock on sales of Tetra De-chlorinators. Clever marketing if you ask me.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
10 Jun 2008 13:02 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Tend to agree with you on that front. Then again if it reminds people of the importance of chlorine levels (being kept down that is!!) then I guess its not a bad thing.

More
10 Jun 2008 13:29 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i agree with you all on this. i think people will only check water in their tank at which stage the damage is done. or forget to check and a day later check when aeration has removed
it will appear free from chlorine.

And as we do all to often assume things are clear and chlorine is not being used then continue to use the water with out treatment.

It will cost more in dead fish

More
11 Jun 2008 22:55 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Interesting, I understood testing for chlorine was not that simple.

You don't see even regular type tests kits for it - or do you, so I would be interested to see how the strips work, but like has been suggested earlier I think it is a marketing gimick to increase the already crazy price of test strips and get you to buy their dechlorinator as well.

I wonder will eSHa and JBL strips follow this development and include it on their strips. . .

More
13 Jun 2008 00:12 - 13 Jun 2008 00:17 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Personally i would just use a dechlorinator. For the amount you use and how much it costs i'm sure it would be cheaper and less time consuming than the tests (if they work).
Red sea do a chlorine test but i dont think it tests for chloramine.
Maybe if the test strip tested for Amonia and chlorine you could determine if chloramine was present in the water or not.

I just did a quick search and found this product.
It could be just what you are looking for;
www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/15743/product.web
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 00:17 by platty252 (Darren Dalton).

More
13 Jun 2008 09:02 - 13 Jun 2008 09:02 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
only in America. what is it about this hobby everything is that side of the pond:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

but all joking a side, that I would consider buying if it had a decent shelf life.

To many times i have started to fill a bucket and stopped because the bleach type smell was so strong :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: and i had no idea how to calculate how much conditioner to but in. A test would help!

i found this on them of course never anything about shelf life! :evil:!! So i would have to say i would consider this
www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TK200
( where the credit card hid this time:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 09:02 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

More
13 Jun 2008 10:30 #8 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:chlorine test
I use the strips myself and find them good. I use the liquid tests too but find that the strips are a quick way to see whats going on before I use the liquid. They also seem to be fairly accurate as I have used the liquid to double check the results and was pleasantly surprised that the readings were bang on.

Personally I would prefer to have ammonia on the strips as I dechlorinate anyway and leave the water to stand for 2 or 3 days so it is kind of useless from that point of view. maybe it is clever marketing. still no harm as was said for newbies to be aware of chlorine

More
16 Jun 2008 09:38 #9 by chris (chris)
Replied by chris (chris) on topic Re:chlorine test
It's a fact that tap water is treated with chloramines (or chlorine), so testing only proves that. I don't know what minimum amount these strips can detect because if they don't show small amounts it could be confusing. I would be treating tap water with sodium thiosulphate (Na2S2O3) in any case. There are various commercially available dechlorinators containing sodium tiosulfate as a main ingredient. Keeping water for several days in a bucket does not eliminate chloramines.
In my opinion ammonia testing is the most important. Sample’s temperature and pH must be known to calculate un-ionized ammonia (NH3) from the test reading. All tests give us total ammonia-nitrogen (called TAN). It's very important to calculate that reading into NH3. If pH is below 7.00 ammonia testing is not really important because it would be mainly ionized ammonia NH4 which is not really toxic to fish. As higher is pH and temperature as more important is to test ammonia, because example at pH 8.00 and temperature 30C 0.47 mg/L TAN would be already lethal to fish.

PFS website has ammonia toxity calculator. Thers is a link:
www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/ammonia.php

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds