Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Few Pics of my Tropicals

More
17 Aug 2011 18:12 #1 by paulfluke (Paul)

Few Pics of my Tropicals was created by paulfluke (Paul)
Hi, only have my tank about 3 months - its a Juwel lido 120. Thought I'd share a few pics of my fish - 1 pleco - 9 Danio..

"Paddy" the pleco.

An various Danio - Not easy to get a snap of these little buggers !!

This guys my fav Zebra - always zipping about so not easy to get a pic of him - the best I could do..

..and this guy - anyone know what kind of Danio he is? Was just mixed in with the ones i got..

Enjoy,
Paul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2011 18:27 - 17 Aug 2011 18:30 #2 by dar (darren curry)

Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
tut tut tut....paul?...wat are we going to do with you at all?

pic one is (in my eyes) a cracking shot worthy of a place in the comp. if you haven't already entered, bang a pic in, you take a nice shot. but remember none of them pics can be entered now

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 18:30 by dar (darren curry). Reason: unfair comment to other participants

More
17 Aug 2011 18:36 #3 by paulfluke (Paul)

Replied by paulfluke (Paul) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals

tut tut tut....paul?...wat are we going to do with you at all?

pic one is (in my eyes) a cracking shot worthy of a place in the comp. if you haven't already entered, bang a pic in, you take a nice shot. but remember none of them pics can be entered now

Huh - not following :blush:

If i post pics up here they can't be entered in any comps ?? is that it?

I'll have to take some more shots of "Paddy" so...which I like doin , cos he stays still !!

More
17 Aug 2011 18:55 #4 by DJK (David Kinsella)

Replied by DJK (David Kinsella) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
Thanks for sharing paul. From the worst ID merchant around, I'd say that's a Pearl Danio ie. the one you are unsure of. The ohers being Zebra and Leopard.

Dave

More
17 Aug 2011 19:53 #5 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)

Replied by smitas5 (Marius Smitas) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
if you read the rules of the competition, it states that pictures can't be posted anywhere prior to the entry

More
17 Aug 2011 19:56 #6 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)

Replied by Viperbot (Jason Hughes) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
Nice shots mate. Looks like a pearl alright ;) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
17 Aug 2011 20:16 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
Beautiful pictures :-)
what type of a camera are you using ? i need to get a good camera.
Any tips i can never seem to get my piranha at all never stay still he he.
Paddy is awesome what a pic supper !!!!

More
17 Aug 2011 20:17 #8 by funkychic (trish coughlan)

Replied by funkychic (trish coughlan) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
great pics paddys a sweety :)

More
17 Aug 2011 20:35 #9 by paulfluke (Paul)

Beautiful pictures :-)
what type of a camera are you using ? i need to get a good camera.
Any tips i can never seem to get my piranha at all never stay still he he.
Paddy is awesome what a pic supper !!!!

Cheers dude, I'm using an Olympus Pen - I don't know a whole lot about camera's but it's a compact digital SLR. Thing about it is it has lots of ready to go settings that are really useful and you can buy diff len's too.

My only tip would be plug away and take lots an lots of shots :P one or two are bound to come good. Numbers game..for me anyways.

Paddy is cool alright - named Paddy cos he's always sucking on a glass :) haha - a ten year old came up with that!!

More
17 Aug 2011 20:54 #10 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)

Replied by smitas5 (Marius Smitas) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
the secret with photography is LIGHT.
you have to have lots of it in order to get good pictures.. maybe extra lamp.. not too sure if flashes are good practice with fish.. (stressful it might be).

I the fish like plec can sit still, you can make miracles with tripod, if not, you need lots of light or ISO will ruin your colors and produce lots of grain..

More
21 Aug 2011 19:40 #11 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Replied by Melander (Andreas Melander) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
Thanks for sharing!

Especially the first shot of Paddy looks great.

Melander

More
21 Aug 2011 19:50 #12 by dyco619 (steve carmody)

Replied by dyco619 (steve carmody) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
nice pics,
where do you go to buy your fish?

More
21 Aug 2011 19:50 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Replied by igmillichip (ian millichip) on topic Re: Few Pics of my Tropicals
Some nice shots there.
Yep...No...you can't enter these in the photo comp (apart from being against rules, it also means we would know who took the photo :)....anonymous voting !!! ).

You needs as much light as possible and use as low an ISO as possible to get great results. If you have limited light then you can never really photograph black (you'll only ever get good photos of black colours if you have loads of light).
It's a matter of balancing things.

Flash....the flash itself will not stress fish. The noise might be the only thing that makes the fish jump (but compact cameras do not have a big enough flash to make a loud snapping noise). Reflection is a problem though....especially with compact cameras having a built-in flash.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
23 Aug 2011 21:01 #14 by paulfluke (Paul)

nice pics,
where do you go to buy your fish?

Hi = the Pleco came from PetWorld in Sligo and the Danio from Gary's pet world in Letterkenny, although I'll be ordering fish from Seahorse Aquariums from now on.

And cheers for the comments everyone else :)

Paul.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds