Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Brackish Tank...

More
26 Apr 2007 08:50 #1 by sparky (sparky)

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2007 09:20 #2 by Tetra (Tetra)
only the first link seems to be working for me

More
26 Apr 2007 09:24 #3 by sparky (sparky)
my bad!! :roll: they should be all working now! :P

More
26 Apr 2007 09:37 #4 by Tetra (Tetra)
Pic 6 is sweet with the school of mono sebae's looks really well.
Tank looks well sparky

luv the good oul gaffer tape holding the wires for the light to...... :lol:

More
26 Apr 2007 09:40 #5 by sparky (sparky)
there's nothing like it, im telling you!! i work in the IT dept of quite a big company, and the department wouldn't run if it wasn't for the stuff!! :lol:

More
26 Apr 2007 09:46 #6 by Tetra (Tetra)
sure there are 3 essential tools in life duct tape, WD40 and a hammer. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it isn't moving and it should be, WD40. If it still doesn't move, hit it with a hammer. If it breaks, tape it back together with the duct tape. :lol:

what kind of filteration u running on it

More
26 Apr 2007 09:53 #7 by sparky (sparky)
lol, sounds like a golden rule to me!! :lol:

there are two 1000lph internal filters, and a 150lph external filter funning on it. the water is filtered through a set of bio-balls before it enters the external filter. the water is still a bit cloudy, but its getting better every day!! the filters are only really kicking in now after a month and a half or so...

More
26 Apr 2007 09:58 #8 by Tetra (Tetra)
have u tried putting water polishing pads in the middle of your bio balls has worked for me before and made the water crystal clear

More
26 Apr 2007 10:05 #9 by sparky (sparky)
thats a great idea, will try that one this weekend! hopefully it'll work! cause its a bit frustrating that the tank is still so cloudy! but im just being patient at the minute!! think ill definatley have to try out that one with the water polishing pads, will pay a visit to my LFS on saturday morning... he loves to see me, think i spend more money in there in a day than in my local pub in a month! ah well, its worth it!! :lol:

More
26 Apr 2007 11:01 #10 by Alan86 (Alan86)
Tetra-Tetra, Are you listening to tat Petter tully fella again?... :D :D :D
Missed ya up above today mate!...give us a bell if your headin in anyday!

The money was just resting in my Account!

More
26 Apr 2007 16:29 #11 by Deeco (Deeco)
looks great keep us updated with pics

You know yourself

More
27 Apr 2007 01:52 #12 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Looking well, its somethin that i'd never think of setting up. The monos are cool, how big do they get.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
27 Apr 2007 02:29 #13 by sparky (sparky)

The monos are cool, how big do they get.

Very big!! ive seen them out in the aquarium in bray, and their about 10 inches from top to bottom, and about 8 or 9 inches long. but their not the ones im worried about... the scats get HUGE when their fully grown, its recomended to have a 4000 gallon tank to keep them in! so, um, yea.... think i might have to find a nice aquarium to donate them to eventually, unless someone on here would have a talk that big!! :lol:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Apr 2007 02:37 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: New Brackish Tank...
Just started flooding the living room :D

The monos also get quite predatory once they get older and will lose their yellow colouration in the fins. Nice tank though, I'd definitely get rid of the ship wreck though...

More
29 Apr 2007 03:08 #15 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Sarky,
if you have milky or cloady water is because the fresh water bacteria cant handle the salt, it you get some dirty filter wool out of a brashish tank in your LFS or failing that a marine aquarium the water will clear with 12 hours treat you tank as a marine tank with lower salinity rather than a african tank with a tiny bit more salt, nice size fish, if you are ever in majorca in the north there is wet land that is braskish and the plants have evolved to live beteen 14C-28C with 50% salwater, these plants shouls live well in your tank failing that plastic plants is an option.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
29 Apr 2007 17:42 #16 by sparky (sparky)
the cloudyness in the tank has actually cleared right up in the past few days, and the tank is now nice and clear! ill be sure to post a few more pics of the tank as soon as i get around to taking some!

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds