Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My 450 litre mbuna tank (new Photos added)

More
02 Jan 2013 21:17 - 05 Jan 2013 01:46 #1 by snaphappy (john)
Changed my tank around a couple of weeks ago and completely restocked it with mbunas. The tank is now how to 5 flavus 5 Mooris 5 Yellow labs 5 acei itungi and my favourite fish 6 Syno Multipunctatus. They are only juvies but are beginning to colour up already especially the flavus. It took some geting used when it came to feeding time when you consider the brutes I was used to feeding I had to really pull back on portion sizes. I do a ten gallon water change around three times a week (it a 95 gallon tank) and all the new fish seem to be thriving I cant believe how much they have grown in just three weeks

Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 01:46 by snaphappy (john). Reason: added more images

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2013 21:29 #2 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
Beautiful!
Really nice setup and great photos. :)

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
02 Jan 2013 22:36 #3 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
The tank and fish are class snaphappy.

Well done.

More
03 Jan 2013 15:42 #4 by jondun101 (jondun101)
Really nice setup and great quality photos .

Thanks for sharing.

More
03 Jan 2013 16:54 - 03 Jan 2013 16:54 #5 by snaphappy (john)
Two more additions only purchased they are Aulonocara's not sure what strain yet :-)

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2013 16:54 by snaphappy (john). Reason: inserting photos

More
03 Jan 2013 16:58 #6 by damp squid (sean)
Stunning pictures.

What type of lens

More
03 Jan 2013 17:32 #7 by snaphappy (john)
Thanks guys. The lens is tamron 28-75 f2.8 or in some its the canon 50ml f1.4 shot wide open and with the iso pushed up to 1600 shot with a canon 5d mk2.

More
03 Jan 2013 22:32 #8 by bogman (Charles Coughlan)
Incredible pictures, beautiful tank, well done

This one's a great shot

More
04 Jan 2013 01:51 #9 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
brilliant tank and impressive photography, well done :)

More
04 Jan 2013 02:08 #10 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
That's a lovely setup, some lovely fish, great pictures, but as as fellow mbuna fanatic, I can't help thinking that are you understocked, mbuna need to be in a crowd :)

More
04 Jan 2013 08:33 #11 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Wow very nice tank and fish are beautiful

More
04 Jan 2013 10:09 #12 by cichlidheaven (graham wynne)
bril tank, you should send in pictures for monthly comp. very good lighting what do you use in tank.

More
04 Jan 2013 13:21 #13 by snaphappy (john)
Thanks guys again. I was wondering about that christy I have now got 22 malawis in the tank and 6 synos but they only juvvies so I didnt want to over do I wanted them to grow into it I Know the moorii will grow large too and i have 5 of them. How many would a 450 litre tank hold with good filtration and a water change regime. CHiclidheaven the lighting in the tank two tubes a daylight in the front and a midnight blue in the back.

More
04 Jan 2013 13:54 #14 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

Thanks guys again. I was wondering about that christy I have now got 22 malawis in the tank and 6 synos but they only juvvies so I didnt want to over do I wanted them to grow into it I Know the moorii will grow large too and i have 5 of them. How many would a 450 litre tank hold with good filtration and a water change regime. CHiclidheaven the lighting in the tank two tubes a daylight in the front and a midnight blue in the back.

I have around 40 fish in a 240 litre for well over a year without any problems. Mbuna need to be overstocked in order to spread their aggression and prevent certain fish from being 'picked on' or bullied. When overstocked, the weaker fish can escape into the crowd. So with good filtration, I'd say you have plenty of room for more.

More
04 Jan 2013 15:45 #15 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
Hi snaphappy,
Tank looks great , I have same size tank with around 45 fish ,sizes from 1 inch to 4 inch
& some fry all Malawi cichlids , I have read somewhere u can have 1 adult fish per 10 litres of water

More
04 Jan 2013 17:45 #16 by snaphappy (john)
Thanks again that great news i would love to put more in but was afraid

More
05 Jan 2013 01:57 - 05 Jan 2013 02:00 #17 by snaphappy (john)
I went back at photographing my Cichlids this time I lit the tank from above with a 400 watt strobe and soft box and added a fill flash to the side to add depth to the images. The pics above were grand but they lacked sharpness because of the high iso and slowish shutter speed. At least this way the action is sharp as a tack and as I didnt have to shoot wide open the depth of field is greater these were shot at F11 so the image quality is far superior to the earlier images the colours tend to be a bit more washed out but shur theres always a trade off.

Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 02:00 by snaphappy (john).

More
05 Jan 2013 14:31 #18 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
WOW so jealous lovely tank great fish and amazing photos.

My getting a bit aged digital will not auto focus and has no manual

May have to try the old SLR I'm sure I can still get film developed ;)

More
05 Jan 2013 19:02 #19 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
well done mate tank looks great big difference i love the fish and fair play with the camera skills the shots look cool 10/10

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
25 Jan 2013 21:48 #20 by pit (Piotr Urbanski)
Now, this is the tank i like :)

More
25 Jan 2013 22:17 #21 by dubdero (derek kearns)

More
26 Jan 2013 14:00 #22 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Well done cracking pics there

260l South American Community tank

More
21 Feb 2013 18:42 #23 by m_sb (Zac)
very nice setup i like it:)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds