Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

My 100 L Tank cracked :(

More
10 Feb 2013 20:53 - 16 Feb 2013 15:30 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

My 100 L Tank cracked :( was created by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
This Picts are poor but you get the idea.

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 15:30 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2013 21:06 #2 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Replied by Gonefishy (Brian oneill) on topic My 100 L Tank

This Picts are poor but you get the idea.

Very good and lovely tank with obviously appreciated hiding places for your fish.... :)

More
10 Feb 2013 22:04 #3 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Replied by Melander (Andreas Melander) on topic My 100 L Tank
It looks nice and like the fish feel secure, I somehow wonder how some of the stones stay in place though, a couple look like they defy gravity :)

Andreas

More
11 Feb 2013 09:07 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Replied by irish-zx10r (James feenan) on topic My 100 L Tank

It looks nice and like the fish feel secure, I somehow wonder how some of the stones stay in place though, a couple look like they defy gravity :)

Andreas

when i get a chance i put up a few more photos,
i have added another stone to fix the one that looks like it is being held with gravity :)
its hard to see from the photos but they are big stones and are settled in place quite good.
hopefully they will stay that way.

More
11 Feb 2013 10:08 #5 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)

Replied by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago) on topic My 100 L Tank
Cool set up :-)

More
11 Feb 2013 23:13 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic My 100 L Tank
Looks cool great set-up for bringing out the colours of the fish

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
12 Feb 2013 00:35 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Did a water change tonight and nothing moved but I am sure if I add more fish things will change.

More
15 Feb 2013 14:05 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Bad news had a small crack at the bottom corner seal and a few min later the full tank cracked

I have the three fish moved to my lfc and he said he keep them by them self for a week till I have another tank. If anyone know of a cheep tank or have any suggestions thanks

More
15 Feb 2013 14:25 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic My 100 L Tank
Hey man i would take off the bottom panel and get glass at a glazers the right size and reseal it with tec 7

ive done it before with a front panel more risky, worked out fine tank is still going 3yr later

did you know their was a small crack in it before the hole thing cracked

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
16 Feb 2013 15:28 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Thanks Jeff I will look and see if there is anyone around that can fix the glass. I am still gutted hopefully I get sorted soon

More
16 Feb 2013 15:33 #11 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Replied by Melander (Andreas Melander) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
Sorry to see this, after all that work you put in.

Like Jeff suggested it should be fixable with a new glass.

Melander

More
16 Feb 2013 16:07 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Replied by irish-zx10r (James feenan) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(

Sorry to see this, after all that work you put in.

Like Jeff suggested it should be fixable with a new glass.

Melander

I get over the tank and I will get a bigger tank I was gutted though with having to ask the lfs to mind my fish,
I just hope I have a new setup in a week or else I going to have to sell or move the fish.

More
16 Feb 2013 17:37 #13 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
gutted for ye man but if it helps i have tanks (4foot & 2foot) in the for sale section in a couple of adds if they're of any use?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
16 Feb 2013 19:28 #14 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

gutted for ye man but if it helps i have tanks (4foot & 2foot) in the for sale section in a couple of adds if they're of any use?

Thanks I will send you a pm :)

More
17 Feb 2013 23:30 #15 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Got this advice from my subaru site when i was asking if anyone fixed glass on aquarium tanks.
"clean the glass with meths and silicone a piece of glass over the crack"
What do you think will this work ?
There might be light at the end of the tunnel after all.

More
18 Feb 2013 00:49 #16 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)

Replied by newbejkjimk (damien kelly) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
hi,
i think your crack is too big as it covers the whole bottom of the tank so i doubt if there is enough strength to support s glass patch.
jim

More
18 Feb 2013 01:21 #17 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Is there anyone that could take out the glass and fit a new glass in the bottom of the tank?
Jim i know what your saying and i was thinking the same.

More
18 Feb 2013 01:35 #18 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Replied by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
honestly i'd get a tank from Daveyc at the price he's selling them its a bargain as it sounds as if your unsure what your doing trying a self repair, then try and fix this tank at your leisure when your not under pressure to get it fixed. i've seen daveys tanks and they are in great shape plus when you fix yours in your own time you'll have another tank to play with

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
18 Feb 2013 02:57 #19 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

honestly i'd get a tank from Daveyc at the price he's selling them its a bargain as it sounds as if your unsure what your doing trying a self repair, then try and fix this tank at your leisure when your not under pressure to get it fixed. i've seen daveys tanks and they are in great shape plus when you fix yours in your own time you'll have another tank to play with

I know what you are saying and i am keeping my options open
i been in touch with Daveyc
the same day the tank cracked the car decided to stop working
and it ended up been easyer to get a different car
lol money is at a all time low so i dont have much of a choice at the minute only to do a diy
and if it does not work move on to plan B

More
18 Feb 2013 10:25 #20 by cichliddave (dave coughlan)

Replied by cichliddave (dave coughlan) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
nice job.wot is name of the wine a navy banded cichlid

More
18 Feb 2013 11:15 #21 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

nice job.wot is name of the wine a navy banded cichlid

Demasoni cichlid

More
18 Feb 2013 12:17 #22 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Replied by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
thats a pity with the tank . Was it new , if so you have comeback ?

More
18 Feb 2013 12:46 #23 by davey_c (dave clarke)

would you be confident enough to try replace the bottom yourself? the hardest part is cleaning off the old silicone but with a little time and elbow grease it will come off. also i'd advise getting aquarium safe silicone against any unknown regular silicone, i got mine on ebay at less than 20e for 2 large tubes which would cost ye 40e in lfs.
just make sure and get the glass edges polished but more advise can be given if you decide to give it a shot although i'm suprised nobody is closer to help out... i would if i was a bit closer :pinch:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
18 Feb 2013 18:56 #24 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

would you be confident enough to try replace the bottom yourself? the hardest part is cleaning off the old silicone but with a little time and elbow grease it will come off. also i'd advise getting aquarium safe silicone against any unknown regular silicone, i got mine on ebay at less than 20e for 2 large tubes which would cost ye 40e in lfs.
just make sure and get the glass edges polished but more advise can be given if you decide to give it a shot although i'm suprised nobody is closer to help out... i would if i was a bit closer :pinch:

tank is not new and it was just bad luck for myself,it could have happened to anyone.

davey_c if i were near you i do a deal on one of your tanks, if i even say i going to travel for another tank i will end up with a tank over my head lol i am going to have a go at doing a diy job and see how it goes i also am thinking about making something for the tank to sit on so there wont be pressure on the bottom glass. i am also thinking about putting glass in the tank over the crack and resealing the lot.I will keep everyone posted on the progress and hopefully the fish will be back home for next weekend.

More
18 Feb 2013 20:25 #25 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Davey_c

I have this momentive performance materials silicone rubber i use it in work and for fixing glass and plastics it good for very high temp.would it work in my tank with water.

More
18 Feb 2013 20:42 #26 by davey_c (dave clarke)

if it says its aquarium safe or 'fungicide & solvent free' then work away, otherwise i wouldn't chance it because alot of it isn't designed to be fully submersed. i've used normal silicone in aquariums before to fix things to the glass only to have it fall off in a couple of months pal

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
18 Feb 2013 21:55 #27 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

if it says its aquarium safe or 'fungicide & solvent free' then work away, otherwise i wouldn't chance it because alot of it isn't designed to be fully submersed. i've used normal silicone in aquariums before to fix things to the glass only to have it fall off in a couple of months pal

This is the info i got from the net about momentive performance materials silicone rubber

: One-component products
: Capability to cure at room temperature and ambient humidity
: Self adhesion properties
: Low temperature flexibility
: High temperature performance
: Excellent weatherability and ozone and chemical resistance
: Excellent electrical insulation properties

i work in a medical factory so i guess it would have to be of a high standard so produtcs cant get contamanated

More
20 Feb 2013 01:26 #28 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Got this info today after talking to a lad that fixed a tank years ago and i am after getting the same info from the net,i have a tube of 108 clear and i use it in work so i have a few more tubes.

"Momentive 103 or 108 is what the tank manufacturers use... contact alot of the custom tank manufacturers and you will get a couple of different answers (Dow 7xx series is another common silicone, but most use the Momentive line).

Momentive is an adhesive RTV silicone, and has about 2.5x's the tensile strength that type I does.

I did a ton of research on this prior to ordering my current tank that I am setting up. I called several custom manufacturers to get quotes and asked them which silicone they used and most said the momentive line... for good reason".

I am getting glass tomorrow and the people that i am getting the glass form might be able to fit it for me.

More
20 Feb 2013 02:04 #29 by JohnH (John)

Replied by JohnH (John) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
I might be wrong, but looking at your earlier pictures it isn't plain what the tank is sitting on.
Ideally it should be a perfectly flat surface the same size as the tank base with a layer of something to take up any discrepancy - I personally use 1" thick polystyrene sheeting (Aeroboard).
If you didn't have this it could well be a contributory factor in why the tank base cracked.
If you don't have this I strongly urge you to get it, no amount of repairing will stop a further breakage of the 'repair' section.
Again, personally, I think you would be far better off removing the cracked base altogether then clean the sealant from the exposed edges and then replace that cracked base with a totally new piece of glass, making sure to finish the job with a bead of sealant all around the join - but only after the first lot of stuff has 'cured'.
Anyway, whatever you choose to do - or get done - I hope it works out for you...and don't forget the Aeroboard!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
20 Feb 2013 15:33 #30 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic My 100 L Tank cracked :(
Listen fella....
If this doesn't work out as quick as you would like, the offer i made by email a few days ago still stands
There's a 100 litre tank not being used sitting in the house not being used!!!
Im still getting the 190 setup and will be sticking at that and the 60 for a few months before i go looking at setting up the 100!!!!!

Email me again if you need it for a bit!!!!

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds