Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Nice surprise, cory eggs:)

More
21 Jul 2015 14:25 #1 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I got a nice surprise today and the eggs looks pretty neat with the reflection from the camera so I thought I would share.

This group is breeding on and off but this spawn was particularly large.

Corydoras concolor:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2015 14:57 #2 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Nice! Is 3 considered as large spawn for corys? Or they have more somewhere hidden.

More
21 Jul 2015 15:48 #3 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Thanks helix, the size of the clutches varies depending on species. In this case they spread them out in small clutches like this, all over the place.

I guess this spawn was around 25+ eggs which is about the largest I have seen with my group.

Andreas

More
21 Jul 2015 16:09 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Beautifull picture of the eggs :)
Are you gonna leave them in the tank ?

More
21 Jul 2015 18:16 #5 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

Thanks helix, the size of the clutches varies depending on species. In this case they spread them out in small clutches like this, all over the place.

I guess this spawn was around 25+ eggs which is about the largest I have seen with my group.

Andreas

Alright :) , interesting that they spread the egg all over.

More
22 Jul 2015 07:41 #6 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Thanks Anthony!

I normally leave them in the tank, as I am lazy and there is usually a few survivors anyway.

At the moment there are too many small plecos in the tank and they will find every single eggs so I collected about half of the eggs.

Andreas

More
23 Jul 2015 04:55 #7 by joemc (joe mc)
great pictures, anything i ever take is a blur! i think Corydoras concolor is one of the nicest looking cories around, they have always been on my 'must get some ' list
congrats on the spawning

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
23 Jul 2015 08:38 #8 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Thanks Joe! Believe me, I take MANY photos and most don't turn out like this one.

Agreed on the concolor, my favourite and they keep getting better and better as they grow.
I have kept mine for about 2.5 years now and they keep surprising me by still growing and gaining finnage.
I'll try to take some updated photos of the largest male.

Andreas

More
23 Jul 2015 18:58 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)
Wow they are super photo's Andreas :) looking forward to your updates.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
24 Jul 2015 15:26 #10 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

More
31 Jul 2015 21:01 #11 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Hi Andreas,
What way have you setup your tanks?
I have my cory tank planted with gravel substrate, internal filter and powerhead. Theres alot of snails in the tank too. Its a mixed cory tank too so there could be up to three different spawns.
I wasnt sure if the snails or corys would eat the eggs ?

More
31 Jul 2015 21:56 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
I thought the corys will eat the eggs I could be mistaken though I just thought I read that before

More
01 Aug 2015 10:29 #13 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Hi Justin,

The group is in a community tank with some Hypancistrus and guppies.

The substrate is sand, there are two powerheads so in places the current is very strong but there is lots of wood in the tank that make sure that there are places will less current too.

A large amount of wood, root, moss makes it easier for the odd egg/fry to survive. I also use ceramic tubes (filter media) that I scatter on the substrate for fry to hide in.

Nearly all of the eggs are usually eaten but I harvested these. If you just have cories I would expect there to be more survivors as long as there is moss/wood/ceramics for the fry to hide.

I think these things can differ a lot depending on set up. The same species might eat all the eggs in one situation while leave them in another.

Day 9 since the eggs were laid:

File Attachment:

More
12 Sep 2015 14:08 #14 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
The young ones are doing great and more are popping up all the time.

I also finally managed to get a good shot of the alpha male, very impressive fish:

File Attachment:

More
12 Sep 2015 14:16 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
And he knows it :laugh:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
12 Sep 2015 14:17 #16 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Hehe he sure does, I never had a cory "owning" the tank before:)

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds