Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fluval Ozaka 260

More
09 Jun 2016 17:54 #1 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Having bought the tank from Fishmad1234 in March, (thanks again Craig) I thought it time I upload a bit of an update on what I photographed.

With the help of gunnered72, Day 1 after a massive clean and set up to see if anything leaked, just in case!

File Attachment:

Everything was great, so next was a move to it's pride of place in the sitting room, another test situation, you can also see my old 90 litre tank beside it

File Attachment:

Inaugural fill with substrate in situ

File Attachment:

First full fill

File Attachment:

Everything moved across from the old tank, I also added 3 roots cable tied together as the centrepiece

File Attachment:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2016 17:55 #2 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Water change is a siphon to the downstairs loo

File Attachment:

And the refill from the kitchen sink, easier than buckets!!!

File Attachment:

Female krib

File Attachment:

I added a reed fish, first time keeping one

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
09 Jun 2016 17:56 #3 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Same for the GKF

File Attachment:

Another WC, at this point I've added about 30 flame tetras

File Attachment:

Here's my pride of place, just seconds after being added, sold as a breeding pair

File Attachment:

I also added more plants on the same day

File Attachment:

More
09 Jun 2016 17:56 #4 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
I added some rocks and rescaped some

File Attachment:

And yesterday, the Winemilleri decided to show off

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I've nothing much more to add, but I am on the look out for a back up filter tho

More
09 Jun 2016 18:02 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Great job Paul looks great really like the scape.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
09 Jun 2016 19:01 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Looks great

More
09 Jun 2016 20:56 - 09 Jun 2016 20:56 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Fluval Ozaka 260
Looks great what kind of eel is that
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 20:56 by alan 64 (alan). Reason: spelling

More
09 Jun 2016 21:32 #8 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)

Looks great what kind of eel is that

It's called a reedfish, ropefish or snake fish. Picked him up in Newlands

More
09 Jun 2016 21:40 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Fluval Ozaka 260
A nice pictorial account Di - please keep them coming.

(But remember to save a few for the June Photocomp).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
10 Jun 2016 21:23 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
Reed fish love each others company, try keeping 3 or 4 and watch them interact. Be careful of your filter intake pipe, the reed fish can squeeze in the smallest hole.

More
10 Jun 2016 21:50 #11 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)

Reed fish love each others company, try keeping 3 or 4 and watch them interact. Be careful of your filter intake pipe, the reed fish can squeeze in the smallest hole.

Interesting! I think I have all escape routes covered

More
12 Jun 2016 20:26 #12 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Very nice set up!

More
13 Jun 2016 00:16 #13 by carlowchris (chris)
Holy moley....really nice :whistle:

More
13 Jun 2016 08:53 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Great looking tank. As someone said, reedfish are great escape artists so all gaps need to be closed. I lost one when it climbed into my Juwel powerhead. I'm sure you know already that the reedfish and BGKF both get pretty big and are predators; you might want to keep a headcount of the tetras :P

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
13 Jun 2016 11:41 - 13 Jun 2016 11:45 #15 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
looks good. I like the Osaka tanks. Where did you get the Wimerelli ? I had 2 breeding pairs about 3 years ago and gave fry to pretty much anyone that wanted some as I had hundreds of them.
Beautiful fish.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2016 11:45 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland).

More
13 Jun 2016 12:37 #16 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)

Great looking tank. As someone said, reedfish are great escape artists so all gaps need to be closed. I lost one when it climbed into my Juwel powerhead. I'm sure you know already that the reedfish and BGKF both get pretty big and are predators; you might want to keep a headcount of the tetras :P

Thanks Johnny, a big step up to the little shellie tank you saw. I'm lucky at the minute that the reedfish and BGKF are not big enough to fit anything substantial in their mouth just yet :D

looks good. I like the Osaka tanks. Where did you get the Wimerelli ? I had 2 breeding pairs about 3 years ago and gave fry to pretty much anyone that wanted some as I had hundreds of them.
Beautiful fish.

Seahorse had them Damian. Sold to me as a breeding pair. I say sold, I bred some kribs and I got a credit note to the value of them. Hopefully the tank isn't too busy for them and the breed some

More
13 Jun 2016 12:43 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Regular kribs?
Upsizing is always awesome. Choices, choices, choices!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
13 Jun 2016 13:18 #18 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
my pairs went very black below the mouth when they spawned(see the vid)

More
13 Jun 2016 14:00 #19 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)

Regular kribs?
Upsizing is always awesome. Choices, choices, choices!

"Super Reds" is what I was told they were. The krib in the photos is the female. I had 50 fry go to seahorse.

my pairs went very black below the mouth when they spawned(see the vid)

I'll keep an eye out for that. I did see a darkening along the "jawline" recently

More
13 Jun 2016 14:06 #20 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ah cool. I saw those in Seahorse and I was going to get them until they told me they'd be able to get some Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Matadi'.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds