Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

4000L Pond Build

More
05 Apr 2017 07:14 #1 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn)
Hi all,

Just thought i'd show you my pond build as it progresses.

It's 2.5m x 2.5m and approx 1m deep. I going to use solar lights, Energy saving eco-pond and a naturally filtering bog filter. Fairly low running cost and well able to support some goldfish/ Koi.

The pond is raised using old railway sleepers and framed with decking wood.

Need to sort out plumbing for bog filter so ill update again in few weeks. Bog filter will be made from 200L plastic tub.

I'm going to build a rock waterfall between the slabs of tiles in center.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2017 22:26 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Looks great but is it really a metre deep , it only looks about 12 inches deep .

More
08 Apr 2017 22:49 #3 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
Looks well mate.

More
08 Apr 2017 23:22 - 08 Apr 2017 23:24 #4 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic 4000L Pond Build
Its looking its 1 metre in the center part that the photos show,would have reduced the shelves to 9 in for potted plants and had a much larger 1 metre area especially for koi.Anyway be nice to see photos as it matures,enjoy .....
Last edit: 08 Apr 2017 23:24 by nomad (pat murphy).

More
09 Apr 2017 07:09 - 10 Apr 2017 06:41 #5 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn)
Thanks!!

Yes its a metre at the center.

Would of loved to of made it wider in the centre but i was working on a budget and its just going to be home to a few minnows. The pond is in my family home so i wont be personally looking after it regularly so it needed to be very low maintenance.

I didn't raise edges because i didn't want potential predators stepping in the pond... Instead i added raised sections in areas for potted plants.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 06:41 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn).

More
09 Apr 2017 20:35 #6 by nomad (pat murphy)
Just put 2.5m length by 2.5m width and height of 25cm assuming that the sleeper is that height into a calculater and it comes to about 1500 litres.Now if the deeper part of your pond was 1mtr x1mtr x1mtr it would be 1000 litres so total pond capacity around 2,500 litres .Just take measurments youself and check it out because the last thing you want to be doing is overdosing your pond with any treatment or meds,2.5m x 2.5m x height of 65cm would give you roughly a 4000 ltr capacity....

More
09 Apr 2017 21:35 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic 4000L Pond Build
Half that sum is right. It is 2.5x2.5 and the height.
But looking at the pictures the 1x1x1 meter includes the bit of water that was counted in the first sum.
So that sum is 1x1x0.5 meters.
This changes the water amount to........a lower amount!

More
09 Apr 2017 21:49 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Ok we know its 2.5m x 2.5m so we need to know the height of the sleeper also the size of the deeper part.i just said 1metre cube to work on and by looking at the photo it looks that its smaller than that.If we can get all internal mesurements that would be a great help,also from the deepest part that measurement to the first horizontal shelf.

More
10 Apr 2017 06:40 #9 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn)
apologies! inputted wrong data in calculator before posting.

Depth of first level is 30cm.

2.5m x 2.5m x .3m = approx 1900L

middle section is approx 1m x 1m x 0.5 = approx 500L

Bog filter will add 100L with gravel etc in it.

So total volume is approx 2500L.

More
10 Apr 2017 15:04 #10 by robert (robert carter)
Will be interesting to see the bog filter as i have never seen one , be careful with any fish you put in the pond as its going to bea magnet for mr heron , so you will need to net it . Reckon you should get loads of wildlife in it .

More
22 May 2017 19:11 #11 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn)
Finished bog filter and worked out real nice!

In a few weeks ill add some minnows and weather loaches!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
23 May 2017 19:25 #12 by robert (robert carter)
Hi forgive my ignorance but how does a bog filter work . Thanks

More
23 May 2017 21:20 #13 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn)
There is pipework along the bottom of the filter with holes drilled in it which forces water up though the media and roots of the plants.. the little basket at the top right has outlet pipe to water fall and overflow pipe incase it gets clogged.

First layer of media is bio balls, then coconut cior for plant roots and capped with stones.

Once the bog plants have established themselves they provide filtration for the pond... And of course beneficial bacteria will grow on gravel/media but mainly it's for the bog plants.

I still have to put in more species of plants but iris's are the best ones with deep root systems.

More
24 May 2017 07:27 #14 by robert (robert carter)
Sounds a good system and it certainly looks goog

More
24 May 2017 07:37 #15 by PondScape (Alexander Hahn)
Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds