Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New hillstream loach

More
24 Jul 2006 15:14 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
On my way back from work today, I thought I would pop into one of the LFS in my area. One that I don't frequent that much mostly because it is completely over priced.

So I went in and had a nose in the tank and there, to my surprise was a different species of hillstream loach!!! bingo! So I took two and to my surprise they where very reasonable in terms of price.

The name of the fish is Pseudogastromyzon cheni. I already have a duo of Beaufortia kweichowensis. I have read that hillstream loaches should be kept together in large numbers. This was evident even after a short period of the new fish being in the tank as I have never seen my existing loaches being so active and social.

Enjoy the pics.

Pseudogastromyzon cheni

They change their sink pigment very quickly to blend in with their background. I didnt know they did this till this evening!!!

My existing Beaufortia kweichowensis

And finally a nice pic of both species together, above and below the rock!!

Also if anyone knows where I can get my hands on other species of hillstream loach can they please let me know, as I am seriously thinking of developing a stream setup!!

Many tanks

ps. One LFS that I asked if they stocked hillstream loaches said that they where illegal to keep in Ireland. Is this true or is it just a nasty rumour?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2006 16:53 #2 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: New hillstream loach
Looks good! Gotta love the loaches. I personally have three and they are very comical, especially the Dojo's.

More
24 Jul 2006 17:05 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

Looks good! Gotta love the loaches. I personally have three and they are very comical, especially the Dojo's.

yeah, those crazy dojo's and their disappearing antics. Seriously I have not been able to find them for days on end, for a sizeable fish it quite the magic trick. Sometimes you just see the head sticking out of the gravel!!!

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2006 17:27 #4 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: New hillstream loach

One LFS that I asked if they stocked hillstream loaches said that they where illegal to keep in Ireland

If they were they would not have them IMO. (Are they coldwater :?: if so there maybe some restrictions to importation.

Best Regards..................Tony

More
24 Jul 2006 18:04 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

If they were they would not have them IMO. (Are they cold water :?: if so there maybe some restrictions to importation.

Best Regards..................Tony

They are semi tropical but they can tolerate unheated tanks. This is where the importation restrictions might come into play as I was told from the person that sold me the fish that they where supplied from Northern Ireland. Because northern Ireland has a different illegal species list than the republic, it might be very easy for the supplier and the buyer to be unaware that the fish they are selling is illegal.

Now next question, does anyone know or have a link for illegal aquarium fish in Ireland? I have spent many an hour looking and not turned up a thing!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2006 13:17 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: New hillstream loach
Heres the illegal list for Britain according to CEEFAS

> Abramis ballerus, Blue bream
> Acipenser sp., Huso sp., Scaphirhynchus sp., Pseudoscaphirhynchus sp. and hybrids (sterlets and sturgeons)
> Alburnoides bipunctatus, Schneider
> Ambloplites rupestris, Rock bass
> Ameiurus sp. (coldwater ameiurid catfishes, including the bullhead, Ameirus nebulosus)
> Aspius aspius, Asp
> Chalcaburnus chalcoides,
Danubian bleak
> Chrondrostoma nasus, Nase
> Chrondrostoma toxostoma, Toxostome or French nase
> Ctenopharyngodon idella, Grass carp
> Hypophthalmichthys molitrix,
Silver carp
> Ictalurus sp. (coldwater ictalurid catfishes, including the Channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus)
> Leuciscus souffia, Blageon
> Lota lota, Burbot
> Micropterus salmoides, Large mouthed bass
> Mylopharyngodon piceus, Black
or Snail-eating carp
> Oncorhynchus mykiss (Rainbow
trout or Steelhead)
> Oncorhynchus sp. (Pacific trout)
> Polyodon spathula and Psephurus gladius (paddlefishes)
> Pseudorasbora parva, Clicker barb
or Topmouth gudgeon
> Rhodeus sericeus, Bitterling
> Salmo salar (Non-anadromous, landlocked Salmon)
> Silurus sp. (coldwater silurid catfishes including the Wels,
Silurus glanis)
> Stizostedion sp., Zander
> Vimba vimba, Vimba

You might be ok bu a guy England did have a loach destroyed by CEEFAS
even though he had it five years. Don`t know which spscies though.

More
25 Jul 2006 14:08 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thanks for that Anthony,

This is a similar story that was published in PFK magazine about a guy who had his Chinese sucker fish destroyed after he sought a licence to keep them. Dam the Man!!!!!

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=934

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2006 18:02 #8 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: New hillstream loach
Hi,

I investigated to a small degree about the legality of importing discus. One of the ways they look at it is if the species will live in our local water should it escape. If it does it may cause problems for our native specie which is why it will appear on a banned list. IMO........It is harder to import coldwater fish into this country than tropical.

Best Regards...............Tony

More
22 Sep 2006 14:03 #9 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Just thought I would post another couple of pictures of these unusual fish and their recent behaviour. The interaction between the two species doesn't usually last long enough for me to grab my camera, but this time it did, so here are the results.

I don't know what the behaviour is? could it be a dominance thing or could it be something a little bit more reproduction based?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome as to what it is.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2006 18:10 #10 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic Re: New hillstream loach
Great pics there, keep em coming :D

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2006 14:46 #11 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: New hillstream loach
Hi i seen this, and thought maybe someone might be interested
cgi.ebay.co.uk/Live-Tropical-Aquarium-Fi...Z1QQcmdZViewItem#top

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds