Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Aphyosemion striatum

More
22 Sep 2006 14:21 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
This pair are the latest addition to my coldwater setup, many thanks to Darren. The first three pictures are of the male while the last is the female.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2006 01:07 #2 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic Re: Aphyosemion striatum
Is that not a killifish? If so, they usually like tropical water non?

25-28°C ?

Regards
Conor.

More
03 Oct 2006 05:27 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey Conor,

I bought these fish from platy252. He recommended that the fish be kept at a Temp 18 - 24c and at a ph of 7 or less.

I have also just had a quick look around the ye old'e Internet and it suggests the same. Plus apparently the lower the temperature that you keep the fish at:

>the better the colouration.
>the greater the life span.
>and the less susceptible they are to getting fungus attacks.

Species Page 1
Species Page 2
Species Page 3

Since platy breeds these fish, he might have something else to add to this post!!

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2006 05:48 #4 by conor (conor)
"Widely distributed in the coastal areas from Equatorial Guinea (found in the lower Mitemele River drainage system), to northwestern Gabon (in the Mbei, Komo, Gabon, Abanga & lower Ogowe Rivers)."

Hmm, there was me thinking Africa was a hot continent ;-0

I suppose in the wild, they only live for a year, so reducing the temp could potentially let them live longer? Also, they can live in the sea too (like the addition of salt it says), so this would make sense for those temperature ranges as the sea rarely gets that warm, and never does in the atlantic.

I dunno though, as I've never kept killifish. I do LOVE them though. I must get some....

www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gv.html

"generally hot and humid; monsoonal-type rainy season (June to November) with southwesterly winds; dry season (December to May) with northeasterly harmattan winds"

More
03 Oct 2006 05:58 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
If you are thinking of getting into Killifish, you should definitely check out eBay! There are many many many suppliers who will send all different types of killifish eggs world wide and for a fairly reasonable price too.

Check out some of these little beauts!!!

Nothobranchius-Rachovii
Cynolebias whitei
Cynolebias nigripinnis " del molina "

I have never bought fish eggs online, does anyone have any experience with this?

More
03 Oct 2006 16:31 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have kept these at diffrent tempratures and the results;

14-18c startling colouring, non stop breeding and extreamly active.
No fungus problems with the eggs and great survival rate with the yong.

18-22c at this temp. rang they seemed more natural, not so hyper and colouring was still viberant.
They didnt breed as much and There was the odd bit of fungus on some eggs every now and then. Some Amano shrimp in the tank soon kept a lot of the fungus away.

22-25c there was no real diffrence at this temp. rang from the 18-22c set up.

26c and above. once the temp. hit 26 or higher there was real changes.
Faded colours, staying in the one spot on the tank floor, no breeding and fungus.

I know it dosent make sence since they come from tropical pools, but this is the temp. range most killi keepers keep them.
The guy i got my orignal stock from David Mikkelson clamed he kept 90% of his stock at 20-24c. He had over 400 species of killifish avalable when i contacted him.

I have some Aphyosemion gardneri at the moment that dont like the temp. below 20c.

Salt; i only add salt when these fish get old and start to show sighns of fungus on the bottom lip.
Some species live in water that is several times saltier than seawater.
If you are ever in turkey you will find killis in the salt lakes.

Killis are found all over this planet and in some extreme conditions.
In Mexico Cyprinodon pachycephalus lives in waters at 37c.
C. nevadensis hold the record for surviving at 43c.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Oct 2006 01:18 #7 by conor (conor)
Thats amazing platty. I must go get some!

More
04 Oct 2006 10:44 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Conor i have some Aphyosemion striatum at the moment. if you are interested pm me.

More
05 Oct 2006 07:25 #9 by JohnH (John)
I have never bought fish eggs online, does anyone have any experience with this?[/quote]

I bought eggs before my trip to UK and so they are all still in their packages awaiting my return to be (hopefully) hatched.

I would say that, in my experience it might be better, if you do try for eggs on ebay, not to get the ones in plastic 'phials' - especially those in water.
The postal workers don't seem all that careful with mail in Ireland (a bit like their UK counterparts). I got four lots from a seller in Germany and they were all broken, the two with water in had their contents spilled into the packaging...I put them into new water and had four hatchlings before I left. The others which were in damp peat I don't know about as they needed to be put into water after their hatching date...around now...so I won't know about these until after I get back to Ireland next week and can set the hatching proccess in motion. This is a long-winded way of saying avoid the eggs from gaier1103 as this was the reply I got after writing to tell him of the ruined delivery (those in plastic phials):

'Hello John! that is ever happened gives the other eggs also in the water paper is not well… greeting ronny '

I gave up!

Wishing you luck if you decide to try the egg-buying route.

There might be better ways than through ebay...?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2006 14:38 #10 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: Aphyosemion striatum
Well i hope you gave him Bad Feedback?

More
06 Oct 2006 03:48 #11 by JohnH (John)
I would have but am not certain if he was prepared to make retribution in the form of replacements, I needed to have his later German email translated:

'Hallo! das ist ja noch nie passiert die eier waren aber noch ok oder? dann gebe sie am besten alle ins wasser (weiches wasser) benutzen...gruß ronny'

can anyone help? I tried a google translation but it was as garbled as his English reply!

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2006 04:32 #12 by iffymike (iffymike)
Basically he's asking if the eggs were still ok or not.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2006 04:55 #13 by iffymike (iffymike)
What i'd do is inform him that because the water had drained nearly all the eggs had dried out. have you tried to hatch out what was left? give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he offers to replace any, and suggest a different type of packaging, maybe peat?

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds