Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hurray - got 'em at last

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • mattlemon (mattlemon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2006 04:08 #1 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Hurray - got 'em at last was created by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Well, I took delivery of 5 Red Belly Piranha yesterday. Given the tiny size of them, I'd say that they're captive bred.

I'm feeding them on Bloodworm / Brine Shrimp and small chunks of Tiger Prawn.

They all seem to be settling in, exploring the tank and their neighbours (20 Danios and a 5" Pleco).

Matt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2006 05:56 #2 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: Hurray - got 'em at last
Say good-bye to the danios.

More
20 Oct 2006 07:09 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I was just thinking the same thing...........

The plec might be ok but if they are peckish he could eventually end up on the menu too.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2006 07:46 #4 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: Hurray - got 'em at last
The Danios were just to cycle the tank but I have spoken with people who did the same thing and especially when the Piranha are "bought up" with them, they don't see them as food.

Also, many people keep Plec's with Piranha and since he's 20 times there size at the moment most people agree and if the Plec is larger when the P's are introduced to the tank things will probably be OK.

I've no intention of feeding them live fish so that might help too.

Of course I'm prepared for the quite likely possibility that all the Danios will dissapear in a month or so. My Plec, I hope will be OK, he hides during the day and is now too big for my other tank.

More
20 Oct 2006 07:55 #5 by monty (monty)
Anyone see the picture in Septembers (I think) Practical Fishingkeeping of the finger of a Piranha keeper. ? If I recall correctly he was moving them when one slipped and he dived to catch it. The fish also grabbed for the nearest thing :lol: I suppose he should be happy it was just his finger.

Multiple stitches on the finger and may be a year before he gets full feeling back. ..... so watch your fingers

Monty

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2006 08:16 #6 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: Hurray - got 'em at last
Yeah, I saw that. Nasty alright. You're right in that he had netted the fish, the net was too small and the fish jumped. As a instinctive reaction the guy tried to catch the fish and you saw the result.

A fair few P keepers are happy to put their hands / arms in the tank. Once the fish are well fed. Don't think I'll be doing the same for more than a couple of weeks.

I can understand some people's concern (maybe the wrong word) or confusion in others desire to keep fish like this, however, I think them a fascinating fish and something that I'll never see wild. People keep stranger and more dangerous animals in their homes, I just hope to have 5 happy P's that are a source of enjoyment to me and others.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds