Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

220 L Tang Tank

More
13 Feb 2008 14:50 - 13 Feb 2008 15:05 #1 by zebadee (zebadee)
Hi,

After relocating to London I managed to get my new tank up and running. It's a fluval 220, externally filtered with a Fluval 405 and an eheim 1040, standard pair of 200w heaters and some T8 lighting. The background is fibreglass fake liverock which I got an outrageously good deal on, the substrate is a mixture of inert play sand and crushed coral for buffering.

The stocking is:

2 Pairs of adult red compressiceps (can't have a tang tank without these lads)
2 juvenile compressiceps (gold and will be moved on in time, they arrived before I got the adults).
12 Cyprichromis Leptosoma Unita
3 adult Hecqui (1m, 2fm)
3 (1m, 2fm)adult ancystrus and about 8-12 juvenile
2 juvenile lithobates (yeah I know Malawi, and they will have to be movedon in time)

Once I get a decent Camera I'll get some more shots esp of the mature compresiceps, best looking examples I have ever seen and I'm a Calvus/Comp nut.

Last edit: 13 Feb 2008 15:05 by zebadee (zebadee). Reason: detail

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2008 15:14 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:220 L Tang Tank
That background looks amaizing.Is it heavy?I didnt know they made stuff like that.

You have a lovely group of Cyps there,good ratios.The males look great.I have now what seems to be 8 males and 3 females in my 260L.Anyday now Im expecting to see carnage.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2008 16:34 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:220 L Tang Tank
Super looking tank mate.
Some real stunners there too. How heavy is the rock and have you got a link to a website
that sells it.

More
13 Feb 2008 17:36 #4 by Coler (Coler)
Replied by Coler (Coler) on topic Re:220 L Tang Tank
verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice - great job. love the background, fish look excellent too.

More
13 Feb 2008 19:09 #5 by zebadee (zebadee)
Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I don't have a link or name of the background but if you can give me a few days I'll post it if I can find it from the shop that sold me it. All I know is that its supposed to look like live rock for a marine tank. I'd try giving any of the marine LFS a call in Dublin to see if they can point you in the right direction. I wasn't going to buy it but my wife insisted because as she said it makes the tank look uniform and because it is in 4 pieces it \"is easier to re-arrange than all those rocks you kept swearing at when doing water changes\". It is great because I just lift them out, shake off the bristlenose, hoover the substrate and pop them back in. Tank re-arranged in minutes and less language too ;) not to mention the benefit that the fish can burrow etc and there are no falling rocks to be worried about.

On the stocking front, thanks again for the comments. I have three adult male Cyps and I suspect one other sub dominant so agro for the moment is a little subdued, that said the tank is about a foot too small to have three males. One occupies the front right of the tank, another the front left and the third male rules the back side of the 'rock' formation.

The king of the tank is the wild Hecqui which is a beauty but a bit aggro really, they're starting to breed soon so I think things will get interresting.

It's not heavy at all, and it's full of small mesh covered holes to allow water permeate and drain out but prevent fish from swimming in. The nooks and crannies are perfect for the ancystrus I have esp as the surface area keeps them all busy. The space behind the front you see in the shot is offering refuge to the Comps which is great for them (they're spawning 2 weeks after I got them)but a pain in the ass for me as I hardly get to see them even at feeding time.

More
13 Feb 2008 23:24 #6 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Lovely tank, i'm sure i've seen it before. Oh yes i was admiring it on Dubosi :laugh:

Can't wait to find out where to get that background

More
14 Feb 2008 09:24 #7 by zebadee (zebadee)
I do have the tank details etc up on Dubosi forum as well, I am kinda proud of it:blush: .

More
27 Aug 2008 18:50 #8 by ryan (ryan mccabe)
love de backround i tot it was real wen i first saw it well done!!

ryan

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds