Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My new fish ...

More
17 Dec 2006 15:27 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Here are a few pics of my new fish. 2 discus and a nugget.
Can anyone please verify what type the discus are ?
I think one is a brown but i dont have a clue what the discus in the
first pic is .
unsure discus

brown

together

nugget

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2006 15:32 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi damien
id say one is a brown discus the other looks like one of the red varieties, possibly a red melon. interesting markings on the dorsal fin! where did you get them? did they not know?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Dec 2006 16:10 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: My new fish ...
The brown one looks like a Red Dragon discus and the second looks like a red Melon.

More
17 Dec 2006 16:30 #4 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
bought them from Joe in the Aquarium Centre. He was not sure. Its a bit weird cause the red one was more Copper and i could see no red on him in the shop , but once he went into my tank those colours came up. I have never seen discus settle in so quick either... the two of them came out to the front with the other 4 discus almost straight away. :)

The nugget was bought in Kinsealy. Thats a full tank for me now... no more new fishes for a while.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Dec 2006 14:27 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: My new fish ...
Feed them plenty of Beefheart and they shuold get to the proper adult size.
Apart from Red wriggler worms(garden variety)
Beefheart is the best food for Discus and contrary to some peoples views they break it down completely and it does not shorten their lifespan.
I can tell by their eyes that they are not runted. The Melon looks like it has been crossed with another Discus.
How long have you got them. Are their stress bars always showing.
What are your water stats including temperature.
What are you feeding them.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2006 09:20 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: My new fish ...
Not going to start another discussion with Anthony re. beefheart.
The discus with the red fins looks like a mixture between a few strains to me unless,as Anthony says, it's a Red Dragon. I'm not too familiar with whatever the Asians come up. There seems to be a different variety every month or so. It's gone too far if you ask me. The only decent strain in my mind that ever came from that part of the world are the leopard skins. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so I won't argue about taste. As long as the fish are nor deformed that is. Yours aren't so best of luck with them.
Anthony, are you interested in compiling a list with whatever mixes forum members fee their discus or even better fish in general? You can have mine. Don't believe in keeping them secret. I'd rather have newbies starting out properly and enjoying their fish

Holger

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds