Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Planted Aquarium

More
24 Jan 2007 17:43 #1 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
This is a photo of my Juwel 70 tank which I manage to keep fish and plants.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2007 16:23 #2 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Planted Aquarium
Those plants are excellent darragh how long do you leave your lights on for and are you using CO2 system

You know yourself

More
25 Jan 2007 18:42 #3 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)

Those plants are excellent darragh how long do you leave your lights on for and are you using CO2 system

I have two blubs which run for 10 and 12 hours a day. I do 50% water changes using an API water purifier every 2 weeks. I use leaf zone for fertilizer.

I have no CO2 at all and I have never had any luck with CO2.
I think the success of my plants is due to the substrate.
The substrate is made of a layer of gravel topped with a layer of filter wool.
The above this is a thick layer of aquatic soil mixed with laterite. This is covered with a another layer of filter wool followed by 1 inch thick of gravel.

My fish usually eat the plants but the plants grow at a phomenal rate. I only have to feed my fish 4-5 times a week.

I usually have to trim the plants back once a month to keep them in check.

Regards,

Darragh

More
27 Jan 2007 17:23 #4 by Gary.K (Gary.K)
Hi Darragh

Savage looking tank.
You say you have 2 x bulbs which runn 10 - 12 hours a day, do you mind me asking what type of bulb are they r do you think it matters. Also regarding time i have my light on for 14 -16 hours a day because no one home all day. I read some where that this might cause water to go cloudy.
As no one home all day it is either 8.30am till 11.30pm or 6.00pm till 11.30pm which you think is best???

Regards
Gary

More
27 Jan 2007 18:07 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
buy a timer and set it for 10-12 hours. you dont need someone home for the lights to be on.

lampeye

More
27 Jan 2007 19:04 #6 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
that golden gourami looks about 170 years old.... is he ok ?
that plant stickin into his throat aint helpin him

More
28 Jan 2007 16:46 #7 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)

Hi Darragh

Savage looking tank.
You say you have 2 x bulbs which runn 10 - 12 hours a day, do you mind me asking what type of bulb are they r do you think it matters. Also regarding time i have my light on for 14 -16 hours a day because no one home all day. I read some where that this might cause water to go cloudy.
As no one home all day it is either 8.30am till 11.30pm or 6.00pm till 11.30pm which you think is best???

Regards
Gary

I am using a Power-Glo and a Life-Glo blub. Each blub is on a seperate timer with the Power-Glo on for 12 hours and the Life-Glo for 10 hours.
The lights on 8am and automatically turn around 8pm.

More
28 Jan 2007 16:49 #8 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)

He's about 5 years old which is beyond the 4 year average lifespan for a gourami.

More
28 Jan 2007 17:03 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Yes you are right there is something strange about the fish, the entire area which houses the muscles that powers his pectoral fin and also house the heart it is gone!!, I once has a photo taken of one of my tanks, and the clown fish below the bottom lip was missing together with the area that holds the heart. I went around to photographic shop to complain, as was told they cut and pasted the fish to move it to a more central position, and did :oops: not realise there was a bits missing.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds