Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

2 new additions...

More
05 Mar 2007 16:21 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Got these 2 guys from petshoponline.. They are super fish.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2007 17:00 #2 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Great looking fish! Think you must be the first on here to buy live stock off petshoponline. What is your opinion on the prices, delivery and in general the service provided?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
05 Mar 2007 17:40 #3 by Darren (Darren)
I don't know anything about Discus but they look really nice. Also very interested in hearing how the whole process of ordering fish online went. With something like Discus I don't think I'd ever buy them online. Maybe some smaller cheaper fish. Interesting to see what you thought of it though. Also what size tank are they in?

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2007 18:09 #4 by Penguin (Penguin)
Replied by Penguin (Penguin) on topic Re: 2 new additions...
wow that colour is amazing!

More
06 Mar 2007 02:15 #5 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Well, it all came about because I am getting a Vision 260 from them and I was chatting to a guy called Frank about it. Had told him I was looking for a couple of discus and he told me he had some nice ones in stock. Delivery is great , meet him around the corner( they will call to your door ) Discus were well packaged, and price....... wayyyyy cheaper than LFS. I believe they are going to expand their fish collection and am not sure whether there will be a public shop involved ....
@ Darren.. I buy everything online :) just bought a car from Japan online .

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2007 03:05 #6 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: 2 new additions...
I bet the post and packing on that cost a few bob, and it wont be next day delivery :lol:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2007 04:11 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: 2 new additions...
Are they feeding properly. They look a bit thin in the belly area. And you really should quaranteen them for about 6 weeks.
I would never buy a discus mail order. I need to see them feeding.
Just a matter of curiosity, how much did they cost you?

More
06 Mar 2007 04:30 #8 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
yup they shyed awayed the first day from food , but have eaten last 2 days. I got a very good price on them because I was buying the tank also. Not sure what the normal retail price would be.
I undertand people having reservations about buying online, and maybe I took a gamble..
I dont have a quarantine tank which I know.... makes me even more stupid , but in the last 4 years I have only had 1 problem with non-quartantined fish and that was a shop I had never bought from before and wont again. I would love to have a separate tank but I just dont have the space + wife would kill me if I suggested another tank.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2007 10:26 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: 2 new additions...
Nice fish.
Will we be seeing you at the meeting Wednesday forthnight.

More
06 Mar 2007 10:54 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I have never seen discus that colourful the old melyl testerone tablet per 50L on discus every second week beats marines for colours.

If they are not drug then I must say you have the most colourful discus I have seen, all the rainbow trout and brown and blue discus will be getting jealous. :roll:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2007 15:32 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Sean,
how long have you been away from keeping Discus. They are nice fish but colourwise nothing unusual. I have one male that looks like them. Brute of a fish, seems to be taking his testosterone supplements :D Bought him young and he was supposed to be a red turq. Ah well...Also have a look at this link:
lds80-86-91-45.webperoni.de/forum/attach...&thumbnail=1&;

More
06 Mar 2007 18:21 #12 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Speaking of Petshoponline..I'm wondering if the Rio 400 on there that can only be delivered to Wicklow/Dublin area, I was wondering if it could be picked up from them, or met half way..I suppose I'll just have to make an inquiry! Lovely Discus by the way.

More
07 Mar 2007 02:29 #13 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Great Colour, super looking fish.

What was the damage plus P&P?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
07 Mar 2007 03:33 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Sean,
how long have you been away from keeping Discus. They are nice fish but colourwise nothing unusual. I have one male that looks like them. Brute of a fish, seems to be taking his testosterone supplements :D Bought him young and he was supposed to be a red turq. Ah well...Also have a look at this link:
lds80-86-91-45.webperoni.de/forum/attach...&thumbnail=1&;

about 22 years, O.K that link was a beautiful fish too, but any post from the members own fish stock or any visits to my LFS dont show the same impact. Since brown and blue take up the same space and electric why to people bring the home? Also the discus with the black speckles look awful, dont rember seeing them around in the 80`s

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 03:38 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Sean,
I agree, black speckled fish are horrible, so are Rose and half moons. Can't stand Pigeon bloods, Malboro reds and Ghosts either. All those came from Asia. the only decent thing when it comes to discus to come out of Asia are leopardskins.
Discus are naturally beautiful fish, why mess around with them?

Holger

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds