Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

K simpsons Corrydoras.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 17:57 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
K simpsons Corrydoras. was created by Anthony (Anthony)

Keyhole Cichlid

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 17:58 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: K simpsons Corrydoras.
Hi Ken.
Its a long time since I kept Keyholes and I did not keep them for too long either but that looks like a Hybrid to me but I am probably way off the mark.

More
08 Mar 2007 17:59 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Could be Anto, I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

Regards,

Ken.

More
08 Mar 2007 18:00 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Could be Anto, I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

Regards,

Ken.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 18:01 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: K simpsons Corrydoras.
Hi Ken,

Did you buy them in Petstop in Blanch?I was looking at fish exactly like them out there on Tuesday.

More
08 Mar 2007 18:03 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi Chris,

Got them in Brittas. Drew recommened them for my community tank and he was spot on. They are fantastic fish and have a great personality. I have three. I think I have two females and one male, but will have to wait a while to be sure.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 01:55 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: K simpsons Corrydoras.
Hi Anthony,
hybridized with what other species? South Americans dwarfs are not exactly famous for that. Coming to think of it, I can't think of any case.
This is still a juvenile fish and hasn't bulked out yet.
Holger

More
09 Mar 2007 07:19 #8 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
This is just my experience, but when he grows he will eat Tetras. I used to have a keyhole a couple of years back and he grew to a nice size but I had noticed that some of my neons were going missing.. Did'nt know what was happening until one night I actually saw him eating one.
So be careful.
EDIT* I used "him" in the above statement which is me being sexist. The fish could have been female. I feel we should be careful should with statements with have references to gender. Apologies to any aggressive female fish which my initial post may have offended

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 16:41 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)

Hi Anthony,
hybridized with what other species? South Americans dwarfs are not exactly famous for that. Coming to think of it, I can't think of any case.
This is still a juvenile fish and hasn't bulked out yet.
Holger

It still happens. Has I said only making a remark. Have not kept or seen them years. Taught it was an adult fish but must be a juvie.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 17:23 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Anthony,
hybridization happens a lot in mbuna. They are genetically quite close since they all come from the same lake. Victorians are even worse in that regard.
South American cichlids on the other hand come from quite diverse habitats strechting most of the continent. Over time they have become so genetically different that it's not possible for them to hybridize. Not to my knowledge anyway. Feel free to corrrect me if I am wrong. The only claim I have ever herad was that you can hybridize ram with bolivian rams. But the guy was talking through his backside and his hybrides that were,as he also claimed still fertile, turned out to be long finned rams. Lads, if you think we have hot discussions here in this forum you should have seen this one. I was the first to post that he was talking sh**e. You wouldn't believe how many people were willling to believe him.

Holger

More
09 Mar 2007 17:45 #11 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Just to confirm, this fish is a juvinile. Less than an inch when I got him and about an 1.5 inches now so a lot of growing to go yet.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 18:08 #12 by Anthony (Anthony)

Anthony,
hybridization happens a lot in mbuna. They are genetically quite close since they all come from the same lake. Victorians are even worse in that regard.
South American cichlids on the other hand come from quite diverse habitats strechting most of the continent. Over time they have become so genetically different that it's not possible for them to hybridize. Not to my knowledge anyway. Feel free to corrrect me if I am wrong. The only claim I have ever herad was that you can hybridize ram with bolivian rams. But the guy was talking through his backside and his hybrides that were,as he also claimed still fertile, turned out to be long finned rams. Lads, if you think we have hot discussions here in this forum you should have seen this one. I was the first to post that he was talking sh**e. You wouldn't believe how many people were willling to believe him.
Holger

Sorry Holger I was getting mixed up with Centrals but I know the larger species can and will hybdirise.
I have seen a Cupid cichlid Hybrid.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 03:44 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
what used to be in the genus Chilasoma will happily sha* away with anything to looks even remotely doable. That's how we ended up with parrot cichlid and Flowerhorns. Thanks to our friends in Asia.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2007 09:40 #14 by Anthony (Anthony)
Parrot fish are just vile and repulsive.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2007 15:25 #15 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: K simpsons Corrydoras.

Parrot fish are just vile and repulsive.

Disgusting abberations of nature.
Just like some fancy goldfish.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds