Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Planted tank

More
08 May 2006 18:16 #1 by zig (zig)
Planted tank was created by zig (zig)
Hey guys just some pics of one of my planted tanks, i might take this setup apart pretty soon and try a different layout so i just thought i would post some pics before i do that.

This tank has been setup as a planted tank for about 1 1/2 years so its a fairly mature tank, this particular layout has been setup since the end of January this year, there is relatively little algae in the tank ATM its been running pretty smooth for me, but once i ease back on the ferts at all i start to get some problems (tbh i usually just forget to dose when i get busy at work!)

Because this is a highlight tank it needs to be dosed with some fertiliser every day (a little and often is the key) except saturday, the tank works in a 7 day cycle, with day 7 (sunday in my case) being a 50% water change day which "resets" the tank, and stops any particular nutrient building up to too high a level which could cause problems with algae.

The spec

40 gallon tank 30x18x18 inches

Lighting 2x55 watt power compacts giving me 2.8 watts per gallon
Lit by ASL PC tubes 1x8000k and 1x7100k for a maximum 10 hours per day

Substrate is a fine 2-3mm gravel mixed with first layer laterite

Filtration by an Eheim 2215

Pressurised CO2 running at 30ppm throughout the photoperiod

Weekly fertilisation routine-

I dose 3x10ppm KNO3 (potassium nitrate) per week
3x1ppm phosphate (via Fleet enema from the chemist shop!)
and i add extra potassium via potassium sulphate
I also add CSM+B which is a trace fertiliser 3x10ml per week
I also add a small amount of magnesium at water change

and heres what you get when you do all that!

Thanks for looking at the weeds in my tank!! :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2006 18:42 #2 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: Planted tank
That is an awesome tank! Trying to get mine to give me sufficient growth.(lol)

More
09 May 2006 04:25 #3 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Planted tank
I agree - thats an awesome looking tank. Wish I could get my plants to look half as good.

Monty

More
09 May 2006 05:29 #4 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Replied by Pablo (Pablo -) on topic Re: Planted tank
Awesome tank... i presume you're using presurized CO2

Looks great!... Do you have any fish there??

Pablo

• karen84 (karen84)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2006 07:55 #5 by karen84 (karen84)
Replied by karen84 (karen84) on topic Re: Planted tank
Wow lovely tank :)

More
09 May 2006 11:52 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
wow! i mean WOW.
You couldnt posibly strip this tank, that would be a mortal sin.
You must be verry proud of your tank. I know i would be.
Excelent work. :D :D :D :D

More
09 May 2006 18:18 #7 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: Planted tank
Thanks a lot guys for the comments, appreciate it!

Pablo.....yes im using pressurised CO2, it would be very difficult to run a tank this size and with this much light with DIY CO2, i tried it for a while but had to reduce the lighting as i kept getting algae, DIY CO2 is fine if you dont use that much light.

There are fish in the tank although not that many and nothing special really, there are about 6 Otocinclus 3 platys and 3 zebra danios, so its well understocked, i will definatly add more fish to the tank soon, perhaps a schooling type fish, open to suggestions.

platy252......i might do a total stripdown and really clean the substrate, its a good thing to do with a heavily planted tank every year or so, keeps the tank from going bad, you get much less algae problems when you do this (presuming off course you are fertilising correctly in the first place) i like changeing the layouts anyway, its part of the hobby for me , i usually do a layout, enjoy it for a few months, photograph it and then do something different, it would be very time consuming maintaining (and expensive) several planted tanks, so i just change the main one i have, thats the thing with plants you can have a totally different looking tank within a couple of months, this is probably about the third decent layout i have had in this tank, i might keep this setup going for another couple of months max only because its easy to maintain but as soon as i get some time i will probably change it for something totally different, i feel a totally grassy vibe tank coming on :D

If i get the time i might run a step by step journal here on the next setup to see if i can encourage any other budding plant people out there to take up the hobby.

Cheers everyone

• CasimiR (CasimiR)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 May 2006 07:36 #8 by CasimiR (CasimiR)
Replied by CasimiR (CasimiR) on topic Re: Planted tank
Wow :shock: superb

More
11 May 2006 05:28 #9 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Replied by Pablo (Pablo -) on topic Re: Planted tank

There are fish in the tank although not that many and nothing special really, there are about 6 Otocinclus 3 platys and 3 zebra danios, so its well understocked, i will definatly add more fish to the tank soon, perhaps a schooling type fish, open to suggestions.

I think a shoal of Cardinals tetras will look great!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2007 19:21 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Planted tank
That is one stunning tank. :wink:

More
28 Jan 2007 13:41 #11 by Alan86 (Alan86)
Replied by Alan86 (Alan86) on topic Re: Planted tank
Stunning!....if only i could get mine to do so well! lol

The money was just resting in my Account!

More
28 Jan 2007 13:59 #12 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi zig
takashi amano would be proud!!!!!
stunning!!!!!!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jan 2007 19:04 #13 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Planted tank
I have one spot of Algae on my glass and I am so proud of it. I don`t even use co2. :?

More
28 Jan 2007 19:51 #14 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Wonderful looking tank, I agree Cardinals would look great in there.

Daragh

More
01 Feb 2007 12:53 #15 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: Planted tank
Thanks very much guys, didn't mean for this thread to get bumped back up sorry about that, alas this setup does not exist any longer, broke it down a while ago as I got too busy with work to maintain it, should have a new planted setup on the way in a smaller tank by the end of this month will post pics here as I progress, thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds