Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My Made-Over Rekord 70 with Eheim Ecco Pro 300

More
04 Apr 2011 12:11 - 04 Apr 2011 12:13 #1 by dantheman (dantheman)
Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on the site. I gathered lots of info here last year when I was re-setting up my Jewel Rekord 70 Litre Aquarium.

I pulled out the original Jewel Filter and Housing and replaced it with an Eheim ecco pro 300, on a 70 litre aquarium the water passes through the filter over 10 times an hour at peak performance.

I have the tank stocked with small fish and it's worked really well:
  • 9 Threadfin rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri)
  • 7 Galaxy Rasbora (aka Celestial Pearl Danio)
  • 7 popondetta furcata
  • 3 ottos
  • 5 shrimp
+ Lots and lots of plants.

I have plenty of snails (of the "pest" variety) and did contemplate killing them off with chemicals but I'm glad now I didn't as they seem to have stuck a balance and do no damage to the plants.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help I got here, it's a great site!! See Pics below.

Cheers!

Dan.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2011 12:13 by dantheman (dantheman).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2011 12:31 #2 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Congratulations, lovely job!

More
04 Apr 2011 23:28 #3 by andrewo (andrew)
Lovely clean tank with crystal clear water! NIce job

More
05 Apr 2011 08:03 #4 by Dejwys (Deividas K.)
looks good ! I like it ! whats the name of the plant wich is in the front ??

More
05 Apr 2011 10:43 - 05 Apr 2011 10:48 #5 by dantheman (dantheman)
Thanks! :)

Thats Hydrocotyle verticillata (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocotyle_verticillata)

I use easycarbo but not CO2 and the plant does not get the recommended amount of light so sections of it have grown longer stems than normal.

However I think this still looks interesting and the plant really does seem to be thriving.

I'm using JBL Manado as substrate and plants seem to love it.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2011 10:48 by dantheman (dantheman).

More
05 Apr 2011 19:11 #6 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Lookin good Dan, lovely little tank there.

Mick...:)

Follow me up to Carlow

More
05 Apr 2011 20:38 #7 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Lovely tank Dan - looks superb!!

More
06 Apr 2011 09:35 #8 by Dejwys (Deividas K.)

More
07 Apr 2011 16:05 - 07 Apr 2011 16:06 #9 by dantheman (dantheman)
I used to be worried about water stats but then gave up cause it seemed to do more damage to try to controll it with peat etc. So now I just work with what I have and I have very few fish deaths, maybe 1 or 2 in the last 6 months.

My main concern is always to eliminate the chlorine before any new water makes contact with the fish.

Just tested my water stats and it reads as follows:

GH 180
KH 200
PH 7.0 to 7.5 Range, so 7.25 I guess.
NO2 0
NO3 40

I've little to no idea what this indicates, anything amiss here?

Thanks!

Dan
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 16:06 by dantheman (dantheman).

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds