Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Firemouth

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • iffymike (iffymike)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 03:10 #1 by iffymike (iffymike)
Firemouth was created by iffymike (iffymike)
Does anyone have a good large size picture of a Firemouth, it's to do the Banner for the show, so it needs to be just the fish with no background, and has to be blown up to just over an A4 size

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2007 03:16 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Found this on the web, Good pic IMO. Nick it!!!!!!

pets.webshots.com/photo/1527783544049159850OaIWFJ

If you click on the 'Album' icon above the pic there are loads more.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 04:09 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Firemouth
Not to be overly critical but why a firemouth cichlid?
When you are trying to get newcomers to the hobby (I suggest this should be one of the main reasons why the show is being held) shouldn't you put fish forward that are easy to keep in a community tank? Firemouth cichlids are tough as old boots but not really a community fish.

Does anybody still keep Firemouth cichlids? For above reason I don't know anybody keeping them. You couldn't give away your surplus fish and they breed like proverbial rabbits.

Wouldn't the banner be better off with something equally flashy but a bit more sociable? Angels, pearl/dwarf gouramis or even some kind of rift cichlid, cardinals come to mind. You will have noticed that I have left out discus since I think the high initial outlay will be a bit scary for somebody just starting out

Holger

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 04:17 #4 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: Firemouth
Hi Holger, the reason for the firemouth is that's the logo that the ITFS use on there letterheads, i wish it was something more simple :lol: but the picture on the letterhead dosnt do even a firemouth justice, and will look worse when its blown up. All i want is just the firemouth with no background, not an easy task, as i am not very proficient on computer art programmes to cut the background off myself :(

More
28 Mar 2007 10:44 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
mike,

I will have a look later and cut out the background for you. Will post the image later or can you send me your email address so I can send a high resoultion version?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
28 Mar 2007 14:56 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Firemouth

Does anybody still keep Firemouth cichlids?

I do, well I have a pair and another one which has not grown a millimetre since I bought them last Summer!

I'm afraid Firemouths are another of the Cichlids which have suffered at the hands of commercial breeders, when I was young - all those yesrs ago - they were lovely, red underbelly and red throat were RED, now there's very little colour to them at all!

I tried to get some wild fish but I just don't think they get imported any more! :(

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Mar 2007 14:58 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
What are people opinions! 1, 2 or 3.

Or even better if somebody has another better picture, send me the link and I will edit it.

I think myself its going to be number three!

More
28 Mar 2007 15:00 #8 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Re: Firemouth
Number one looks surprised for some reason :shock: , and number 2 looks like it just kicked the proverbial bucket :cry: !! :D number 3 looks great though!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 15:03 #9 by iffymike (iffymike)
heres a link i found, scroll down to the bottom one
www.ciklidbladet.se/artregister/artreg_visa.asp?ID=535

More
28 Mar 2007 15:05 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Its the best that I could do! Number 3 is the same fish from the picture that peter posted, I just flipped the images and rotated him a bit, so that he would be facing the same direction as the ITFS letter head, although I had to mess with its tail a bit. Do people think that the tail looks ok? or should I change it?

More
29 Mar 2007 01:38 #11 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Pic three is the best of the three, but if you could do somethin with Iffymike's picture it would be the best of the lot.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
29 Mar 2007 05:49 #12 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
The only problem with the picture that mike posted is that the actual file size of the image is very small thus when it is blown up it looses its quality significantly. Picture three I have in a large size and looks OK when it is blown up to A4 size.

Still if anyone can direct me to a larger picture please send me the link.

More
29 Mar 2007 15:16 #13 by zale (Mark carroll)
Replied by zale (Mark carroll) on topic Re: Firemouth

Yea I think No. 3 looks best, like tanks_alot said it's hard to keep the quality from a small picture.

Mark

More
30 Mar 2007 12:37 #14 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: Firemouth
i think picture no3 or zales picture. from the link i think the 2nd last one. if it is too much hassle just leave the fish off or like apistodicsus suggests does anyone have a problem with another kind of fish being put on the banner. the reason the firemouth is being used is because it is on the headed paper for the ITFS

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 09:48 #15 by iffymike (iffymike)
Hi everyone, ref the Banner i have just been on to the printers about it, and they tell me the picture we sent is not of a high enough resolution, so we either need to change the picture or get them to print a number of tropical fish on it, all thoughts would be helpfull. ormleave it to him to come up with a banner.

More
05 Apr 2007 14:10 #16 by zale (Mark carroll)
What size resolution are they looking for.

Mark

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 15:14 #17 by iffymike (iffymike)
Hi Zale, he said 1.5MB, its because it has to be blown up to nearly A3 sice, to have an effect on a 6'x2' banner.

More
06 Apr 2007 04:43 #18 by zale (Mark carroll)
Mike, I have tanks_alots No 3 pic

@ 3500 x 3297 = 1.9MB

It's only rough but if it's OK I'll spend a little time on it. I'm no expert.

It's too big to post so PM me an email address and I'll send it.

If you have come up with an alternative since, Please ignore the above post. :wink:

Mark

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 04:49 #19 by iffymike (iffymike)
Thanks Zale,
That would be good, just waiting to hear from Darren or Goldy, if they just want the firemouth, or if they want a few more pics on it, theres a meeting next tuesday, not sure if the show committee meets earlier, The bloke whos making the banner has loads of fish pics, just not a firemouth.And i think a few more fish besides a Firemouth might look well possibly a Koi a Marine Damsel and some Malawis and Tetras.

More
06 Apr 2007 05:11 #20 by zale (Mark carroll)
Sounds good, the more to look at the better.

Mark

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 05:26 #21 by iffymike (iffymike)
I agree and it will still cover all events,

More
06 Apr 2007 07:43 #22 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Mike if you are having trouble with the firemouth you can leave it out.
If you want to dress it up with other fish go ahead. I am sure it will look great. 8)
I didn't realise you were still having trouble with the firemouth or i would have gotten beck to you sooner.
If you are having any other problems or you have any question's just send me a PM and i will get straight back to you. Darren.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 07:46 #23 by iffymike (iffymike)
Thanks darren, i'll speak to the printers tues and get it sorted.

More
06 Apr 2007 12:10 #24 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cool.

More
06 Apr 2007 13:20 #25 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds