Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Map of LFS

More
30 Mar 2007 15:45 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
What about a a sticky with a map of Ireland and all or as many LFS as possible indicated on it, click on the LFS and you get directions to it.

Only directions, NO comments, it's up to the individual to decide what they think.
This would be great for all new comers & me so we wouldn't have to be asking and we could see where the LFS ye Dubs are always on about are. :wink:

What ya think.? :idea: :idea:

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2007 17:41 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re: Map of LFS
A good idea.I've got a few I frequent,but only 1 I've ever bought fish from.As you suggested,and has been discussed in other threads,it should only contain the specifics of the store with no comments,as from experience I,like others have found that some people swear by an lfs,whereas I,or others have had only poor service there.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
30 Mar 2007 20:41 #3 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
You could set up a Frapper account and work from that. We can all sign in and add in the details!

More
04 Oct 2007 16:50 #4 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I'll have a look into doing it with website software (Joomla).
If anybody knows of component for Joomla to do this, please PM me with the details

Thanks
Darragh

More
04 Oct 2007 20:54 #5 by zing (Dave Rynne)
Replied by zing (Dave Rynne) on topic Re:Map of LFS
How about just using Google maps ? e.g. I've quickly thrown a handful of shops onto this map
maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=e...e0&om=1&z=11

More
04 Oct 2007 22:30 #6 by harbo (Paul Harbison)
Replied by harbo (Paul Harbison) on topic Re:Map of LFS
I agree Google Maps is great, it also show some of the transpot available like the Luas etc. Other advantages are you can add links and html code to the descriptions, it can only be edited by the creator and the maps can be embedded into pages too.

just my 2c.

More
04 Oct 2007 22:44 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re:Map of LFS
That looks a good idea.However,I would remove petstop and newlands.They do not sponsor any of the clubs,and do nothing for the hobby.

More
04 Oct 2007 23:25 #8 by zing (Dave Rynne)
Acara wrote:

That looks a good idea.However,I would remove petstop and newlands.They do not sponsor any of the clubs,and do nothing for the hobby.

Maybe so - I just threw them onto the map as they are places that were familiar to me as someone who's new to the hobby.

However I do personally think any such map/database should include all LFS rather than just those that sponsor the clubs and/or are on any bodies preferred lists of LFS for whatever reason. i.e. imo it should be as inclusive & as complete as possible. As the OP mentioned it would largely be as a resource for new comers - those who get into the hobby quickly learn where shops are and just as importantly learn which ones aren't worth bothering going back to.

Any descriptions against the stores should be as generic as possible - whether they stock cold water, tropicals and/or marines but not much more.

I'm new on here and threw that initial map together as an example - however I don't mind maintaining it going forward.

More
04 Oct 2007 23:34 #9 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re:Map of LFS
I know what you are meaning there,and I agree,just that those 2,1 in paticular,bug me.Unfortunately,a lot of people new to the hobby buy their 1st aquarium there,get it home,and due to bad advice,poor stock,etc,fail miserably and give up.The shop has such great potential,but just dosnt seem to have the right person(s) to make it worthwile.

Dave

More
04 Oct 2007 23:48 #10 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I will be setting up a map component based on Google Maps for the website with a set list of LFS that do sponsor ITFS/LFKS/SAS
There will be some info on them like specialiaties, etc and a link to the website and their forum board.

I should have it ready to go some time next week

Darragh

More
05 Oct 2007 01:13 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
While I think it is a great idea, I think we should approach the idea of having a map that names all LFS and LPS with caution! Because if we list all of them, then it seems that we approve of all of them whether they are good or bad, which really goes against what we should represent. We could follow the example of Practical Fish Keeping and have an Irish charter of what is expected of LFS and LPS. Those who sign up will be on the map, those that don't will not. If for example, three complaints are received and found to be true then they are removed. This will only enhance the importance of this site both to shops and those interested in the hobby and removes a risk of exploitation of the site, after all this is free advertising!!!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2007 09:06 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Map of LFS
How about making direction to each of the LFS that sponsor us a sticky in their own section? Makes it easier to find

More
05 Oct 2007 09:19 #13 by zing (Dave Rynne)
apistodiscus wrote:

How about making direction to each of the LFS that sponsor us a sticky in their own section? Makes it easier to find

Or using different icons on google maps to indicate shops that sponsor the diff clubs Vs shops that have no affiliation with the clubs ?

More
05 Oct 2007 09:42 #14 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I will be keeping it simple, only sponsors will be on the map.
I see no reason to put non-sponsors on the map, it would only give them free advertising.
All sponsors are pretty good at ensuring a good environment for their fish so there will be no ratings,
reviews etc

Darragh

More
05 Oct 2007 12:38 #15 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
yes that is best

More
09 Oct 2007 10:47 - 09 Oct 2007 10:47 #16 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
First Test Map for Sponsors is at www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...p/Itemid,57/mapId,1/
or click on \"Map\" under the \"Main Menu\".
The menu item will eventually change names and I will also be adding a map for club meetings.
Unfortunately it currently does not support directions, but I am looking into it.
Darragh
Last edit: 09 Oct 2007 10:47 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin).

More
09 Oct 2007 15:46 #17 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Directions are available, I just missed the option to enable it.
To use it just click on the shop you are interested, then click on the \"Directions\" tab and you can enter your address.

Regards
Darragh

More
09 Oct 2007 16:51 #18 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Thanks Darragh You just made life so much easier for us all

More
09 Oct 2007 18:00 #19 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I have moved the maps to a more appropriate location on the menu. The Sponsors map is available on the Sponsors menu and the Socities meeting location map is available under the \"Societies\" page/menu

Darragh

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds