Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Angling Section - should it continue?

More
24 Jul 2011 13:25 #1 by JohnH (John)
As promised - if it works - is the Poll to see the views of all Forum members as to whether the Angling Section should be allowed to continue, or be closed.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2011 13:32 - 24 Jul 2011 14:50 #2 by JohnH (John)
OK,
That didn't work - obviously the 'Poll' function isn't enabled.

So, this will be kept open for a week - send both your views and votes to me by PM and I will add the vote numbers as they appear - it can be either kept that your views/votes be kept anonymous, or they I can copy in your views if you want them aired.
Obviously there has to be a degree of trust here but I will say that anyone voting more than once will have their vote removed entirely.

John

EDIT:
This will only be updated daily and please remember to give permission if you want your PM quoted from.
John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 24 Jul 2011 14:50 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added extra sentence

More
25 Jul 2011 00:35 #3 by JohnH (John)
After day one it's three votes to keep the Angling Section and none so far to close it.
Here are the comments which those voters made:

1] "i think it should stay because most in the sport respect the fish through catch and release, some carp fishers even carry an ointment to help disinfect any wound so i don't in any way see it as a cruel sport towards fish, all my kept fish are humainly dispatched by priest".

2] "...the angling section must stay after all it is fish related. we get to see fish in their natural habitat. if foreign amphibians are welcome our native fish should be"

3] "to keep the angling section or not?

I vote 'Keep it' (even though I am not an angler).

I see no harm in having an angling section, I see no hypocrisy in having it here, it is not illegal, the morality of it is obviously based upon each individuals persons values to which each person is totally entitled to express those values in a civilised manor

There has been a great deal of knowledge obtained about fish from anglers (either here or abroad) that could potentially give more benefit to our understanding in conservation pursuits. To me that is important".

More views (pro and con) requested.

John

ITFS member.

More
25 Jul 2011 08:18 #4 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I vote to keep it.

I don't fish but do I like eating fish.

More
26 Jul 2011 01:14 #5 by JohnH (John)
Darragh's vote's a 'for' and I now have two 'against' votes so, on the second day we now have four 'for' and two 'against' votes.

John

ITFS member.

More
26 Jul 2011 23:27 #6 by JohnH (John)
One 'for' and one 'against' today - which leaves the score 5 - 3.

John

ITFS member.

More
28 Jul 2011 00:33 #7 by JohnH (John)
Two 'for', one 'against' today

So up-to-date score is:

7-4

Please vote.

John

ITFS member.

More
30 Jul 2011 00:52 #8 by JohnH (John)
Sorry,
I forgot to update last night so yesterday and today (Friday) the votes were three for and two against which brings us to 10 - 6.
John

ITFS member.

More
31 Jul 2011 16:48 #9 by JohnH (John)
Two for and two against up to last night

Score:

12 - 8

Like the photo competition voting ends at midnight.

John

ITFS member.

More
02 Aug 2011 11:19 - 02 Aug 2011 13:22 #10 by JohnH (John)
The 'yeas' have it.
However, the debate over at the Angling Sub-section was beginning to get quite acrimonious which is NOT in the spirit of the Forum and against Forum rules.

So, the sub-section remains for now, but perhaps more permanently an alternative should be sought.

John
Edit:

John, please send me an email via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 02 Aug 2011 13:22 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling

More
03 Aug 2011 08:37 #11 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
No preference either way, but interesting to note 247 views and only 9 replies :huh:

More
03 Aug 2011 16:18 #12 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I think most of the replies were sent to john via pm, thats where i sent mine any way.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
03 Aug 2011 16:40 #13 by JohnH (John)
You're right Stuart,
We had intentionally locked the thread to encourage all votes to be collated more easily - and also to maintain a degree of anonymity if the voter wanted to remain...well, anonymous.

After the conclusion it was opened back up to allow any observations to be posted.

In point of fact we received twenty votes in total. I reserved my vote in case a 'casting' vote was called for, which it wasn't.

I still feel that ultimately an 'allied' Irish Angling Forum should be instigated, which would save all the hassle we have witnessed of late. As I said before, I'll definitely join it.

John

ITFS member.

More
03 Aug 2011 20:56 #14 by David (David)
I believe there are a couple of forums for fishing and I am led to believe that unfortunately these are not a great source of information, I am also led to believe the main reason for this is due to the demise of fishing in Ireland no one is prepared to share information with people that they do not know.

I could be wrong as i said that is what i am led to believe but if that is the case then I think any Fishing forum would go down the same path unfortunately.

Dave

More
03 Aug 2011 23:31 #15 by JohnH (John)
It needn't be like that David, a forum can be set so that only authorised members can read it and contribute.
We had a Predator-Anglers' forum when I was in England and that was through Yahoo.

Our earlier one was open to all-comers to read but that caused all sorts of problems so we switched. It was set up in such a way that any new applicant could only become accepted if they were recommended by an existing member.
We didn't have too many members, but it was good.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds