Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sponsor section

More
23 Aug 2011 03:03 #1 by dar (darren curry)
just remove it altogether and let them post in the for sale section, or just lock their section as it is nonsense that people are able to post in it but not allowed. how do the sponsors feel about this? i have a feeling people will scream "click" as certain people get away with posting in sponsor sections asking prices and asking about fish, then the recent post asking do they stock food lands the poster in hot water for the second time in a week? something is not right and something needs to be done, if i was that member i would feel hard done by

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2011 09:58 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: sponsor section
My feelings are that Sponsors contribute to the Forum and along with the Owner, they make the running of it possible in the first place, it does cost Money to keep it going. I know if I were a sponsor I would want a section where I can post in as I felt fit and within the rules of the Forum. The Forum is totally free to subscribers who contribute daily and also help keep it flowing nicely.

Sponsors , Admin, Members, Admin, Mods and the net are all needed to keep this thing alive and I think Sponsors deserve a section as already provided.

Kev.

More
23 Aug 2011 10:31 #3 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
personally i dont see what the problem is in posting in the sponsors section and asking a question,
wheres the harm in it??
but as dar said if you dont want people posting in it then just lock it..

just my opinion.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2011 10:46 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: sponsor section
Deffo, makes sense to lock it, there are mail addresses and phone numbers if anyone needs to contact re questions etc. Apols , I hadn't read the Post correctly, my bad.

Kev.

More
23 Aug 2011 10:52 #5 by DJK (David Kinsella)
I certainly agree with the present guidelines/rules regarding this section.

Having said that, if you go into the above section and look at the amount of replies to Sponsors' posts you will see that they are a great many with myself (on 1 or 2 occasions) and long term/regular posters being guilty also. Now, it might be something simple like "that's a very impressive list Gav, I'll be up to you at the weekend" but it's a reply at the end of the day.

I'm not too sure whether Sponsors would really discourage these types of reply really because they are in effect bumping their posts which otherwise would quickly move down to the bottom of the thread list on an average day.

In Cichlidguy's defence I'd say that was an honest mistake beginning a thread in a Sponsors Section which should never be allowed.

I would advise him/others though to have a look at the excellent websites some Sponsors have or even lift the phone (the best way) or use the PM feature before posting.

Dave

More
23 Aug 2011 12:51 #6 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: sponsor section
tbh It makes sense that people can respond to a list we take the time to post up..how else do we know that people are liking it otherwise?the odd bump from a customer makes the effort of posting it up worthwhile and if they are genuine and like the list..why not comment?.the majority of questions we get asked about prices and species or gear happen through p.ms. TBH I prefer it that way.the system works well enough if you ask me.Just add common sense and all will be well.No point in wwww3 over what is meant to be an informative and helpful part of the forum. B)

dont make me come over there.

More
23 Aug 2011 12:58 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
LOCK IT UP ;)

apart from repeating the reasons above this is a business to the sponsors and lots only seem to use it to promote business so if some members that give them that business cannot post in their section about availability of stock then whats the point, i've noticed that even if you pm certain sponsor(s) you will never receive a reply because i fell victim to this so the only way is to put it up for all to see.... wouldn't say the sponsor in question would mind but hey their not the ones making decisions....

certainly though the only way of getting a hassle free reply is to phone or call-in :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
24 Aug 2011 15:43 #8 by fergusq (Fergus Q)

to be honest dar !!! i cant post anything on here the last few times i did post its just like *pick on me* kinda thing so WONT post anymore as all U get is private messages and mods intervering in any off MY POST the last while

adi... :evil:

PS I DO FEEL HARD DONE BY DAR

Speaking of feeling hard done by.....
Any sign of that stuff that was supposed to come with the tank I bought off ya? You said you would drop it in weeks ago....

More
25 Aug 2011 08:21 #9 by fergusq (Fergus Q)
havent got any texts, or any replies to my texts....or replies to PMs/posts in original threads.... :S
But are you really gonna send a heater, pump and shelf from the unit in the post??? (plus you said u were gonna throw some rocks in) Am ok to wait a bit til you are up again if its any way soonish
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds