Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

club members only section

More
31 Oct 2011 11:31 - 31 Oct 2011 11:34 #1 by john gannon (John Gannon)
why not have each club lounge were only fully paid up members can talk and communicate
john

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER
Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 11:34 by john gannon (John Gannon).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 11:38 - 31 Oct 2011 11:38 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: club members only section
How would the content differ? and wouldn't it put a vibe of us and them out there, numbers of posters are already low enough without a perceived class system in place? Won't that also lead to the pointing of Fingers and lead to an exodus of current non Club Members to less segregated Fora?

Kev.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 11:38 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
31 Oct 2011 11:52 #3 by john gannon (John Gannon)
the content would differ cause we could talk about past meetings and future meetings etc,there is alot of people who have been going to meetings for years and have become good friends surely there has to be room for these people to converse and have a few laughs thats not in full public view ,as for creating a vibe if people feel left out all they have to do is join.i dont know about pointing of fingers but i do know the people that generally attend the itfs meetings are not like that.
john

More
31 Oct 2011 11:57 #4 by jwm (sean sean)
I'm a club member cant make meetings any month i have other long standing commiments most nights of the week when i'm not in work. So to divide the forum up again would be a very negative thing to do. There is a topic at the minute about lurkers, you will create a huge section of lurkers if it's divided into people who attend and people who dont.

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
31 Oct 2011 12:01 #5 by john gannon (John Gannon)
you dont have to attend once your a member your a member
john

More
31 Oct 2011 12:09 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

the content would differ cause we could talk about past meetings and future meetings etc,there is alot of people who have been going to meetings for years and have become good friends surely there has to be room for these people to converse and have a few laughs thats not in full public view ,as for creating a vibe if people feel left out all they have to do is join.i dont know about pointing of fingers but i do know the people that generally attend the itfs meetings are not like that.
john

I will copy John's last comment.......the people who attend meetings are not finger pointers. They are a very friendly and helpful bunch. If they weren't a nice a group then I wouldn't be a member.

There is a bit of social side that goes on at meetings, and maybe it would be a nice idea to have an extension of that chit chat (and let's not mince words.....to some others it may be simply chit-chat) to continue out of the full public view.
We don't just talk about a filter system failure in meeting break-times.

There is also a very positive thing......there are some posts on here where someone is having a major problem: often there is a get together of people who discuss such problems to see if there is a way to give a full solution to the problem. That is something that cannot be done fully on a forum without having 500 posts on the original thread. Hence, such a friend-discussion area may actually work as a brain-storming section without mucking up the main forum.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
31 Oct 2011 12:19 #7 by john gannon (John Gannon)
[ numbers of posters are already low enough without a perceived class system in place?
Fora?
Kev.[/quote]
kev there is over 1300 registered users on this fora .the amount of paid up club members does not exceed 50, the regular attendances does not exceed 20 .i dont mind been a minority

More
31 Oct 2011 12:27 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
But friends can chit chat in.open forum.

So are you saying peoples opinions who (you dont class as friends) get in the way of you brain storming with friends

craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 12:31 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
The facility to pm is a great way to connect out of the Public eye and is already in place, another section like a Club Members Only section is an instant divide between two groups and I detest it.
I am aware there are comments from the past regarding Cliques etc and was addressed in a Thread and I think the consensus was that it wasn't acceptable.

There is also an issue regarding the ease by which Members of the Forum can access this Hallowed Ground by becoming Paid Members but you don't have to live on Mars to be aware we are in a very cavernous Recession and while a few Quid isn't a problem to some, it means a lot to others, despite the miniscuity of the fee.

Re "the pointing of Fingers ", I meant, not by those already in the Buddies club but by those outside of it.

It's the old case of the us and them system, something this country is awash in.

It's a forum, yes, I've seen the other Fora on the Web, Movie, Music etc and they have the Private section on their site but they ALWAYS end up as the Old Boys Club, like Masons etc, just post your thoughts on the Shows on the Public medium and maybe you'll engender an atmosphere of sameness where we all feel like we belong.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 12:34 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
I am VERY curious, nay, interested to see who the supporters for this and those against it will be........very curious indeed.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 12:41 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)
Oh , here's an Idea, lets have a Club Members Only section for paid members and one for unpaid Members, I think that's a fair and equitable solution.

Kev.

More
31 Oct 2011 12:45 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
It's not quite like that.

There have been cases when a discussion on the forum about the price of cheese, or buying a new car, or what is the latest blu-ray 3d film bought has been shouted down as not being fish related in the past.

There would also be a nice idea for where ITFS organising of events could be discussed......no one outside of that would be interested in hundreds of posts over the in-and-outs of where to place a piece of black cloth at a show event (unfortunately, such trivial things might be a topic of discussion when working on events).

My society has a special area for paid-up members, and we also have a special platform for event organising discussions.
In the last month, there are several hundred posts just on a small item of what percentage we donate to a charity plus the 7000 other posts that I have not had time to read (and that is just from the committee of a few people).
That sort of discussion bulk would overload a forum with lots of non-fish related chat if it were about fish.

There is no class-thing, and no snobbery......I am dedicated to fight against snobbery and wouldn't support anything that is snob based.
On the otherhand, it is also good to give people who have coughed up some money a little extra.

ian

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 12:47 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
[/quote]
kev there is over 1300 registered users on this fora .the amount of paid up club members does not exceed 50, the regular attendances does not exceed 20 .i dont mind been a minority[/quote]

But they aren't all posting, I said there are few enough Posters, not registered users.

Kev.

More
31 Oct 2011 12:47 #14 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I am VERY curious, nay, interested to see who the supporters for this and those against it will be........very curious indeed.

Kev.

That is a very good point.
There could be different supports and opponents for different reasons....the reasons would be interesting.

ian

More
31 Oct 2011 12:50 - 31 Oct 2011 12:53 #15 by john gannon (John Gannon)

The facility to pm is a great way to connect out of the Public eye and is already in place, another section like a Club Members Only section is an instant divide between two groups and I detest it.
pm is not a great way to have open discussions between a few people.as for detesting it theres sections on this forum that i detest but just have to bit the bullet and not use themI am aware there are comments from the past regarding Cliques etc and was addressed in a Thread and I think the consensus was that it wasn't acceptable.
if friend getting together for a chat is a clique then at least it will be private and not out in the public arenaThere is also an issue regarding the ease by which Members of the Forum can access this Hallowed Ground by becoming Paid Members but you don't have to live on Mars to be aware we are in a very cavernous Recession and while a few Quid isn't a problem to some, it means a lot to others, despite the miniscuity of the fee.
to be perfectly honest i think not being a member of a club is a bit of a false economy.we all know how expensive fish keeping can be Re "the pointing of Fingers ", I meant, not by those already in the Buddies club but by those outside of it.
let themIt's the old case of the us and them system, something this country is awash in.
im not trying to create an us and themIt's a forum, yes, I've seen the other Fora on the Web, Movie, Music etc and they have the Private section on their site but they ALWAYS end up as the Old Boys Club, like Masons etc, just post your thoughts on the Shows on the Public medium and maybe you'll engender an atmosphere of sameness where we all feel like we belong.
maybe if we had our own section fist it may bring some members back in first who may go on then to start posting in the public end againKev.

Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 12:53 by john gannon (John Gannon).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 12:55 - 31 Oct 2011 13:01 #16 by stretnik (stretnik)
Ian, I think that is a weak excuse for splitting the FORUM members into segregated groups, the social and rubbish section would easily address anything non Fish related , that's why it was created.

I never intimated snobbery in what I wrote, what I stressed implicitly was a segregation of two groups despite the purpose behind it. Down the line, newcomers will see the divide and you just summed up in one little phrase my detestation for the separate sections in anything where cash exempts anyone from acceptance or belonging...."On the otherhand, it is also good to give people who have coughed up some money a little extra." it disgusts me !

Basically it comes down to this , those that have, can, those that have not, can't.

Kev.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 13:01 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
31 Oct 2011 13:02 #17 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I think its a tad arrogant.

To be honst is it a case where you dont want to be dealing with people and there guppie and molly s

and want to just chit chat about events more then day to day fish keeping

craig

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 13:06 #18 by stretnik (stretnik)

pm is not a great way to have open discussions between a few people.as for detesting it theres sections on this forum that i detest but just have to bit the bullet and not use themI am aware there are comments from the past regarding Cliques etc and was addressed in a Thread and I think the consensus was that it wasn't acceptable.
if friend getting together for a chat is a clique then at least it will be private and not out in the public arenaThere is also an issue regarding the ease by which Members of the Forum can access this Hallowed Ground by becoming Paid Members but you don't have to live on Mars to be aware we are in a very cavernous Recession and while a few Quid isn't a problem to some, it means a lot to others, despite the miniscuity of the fee.
to be perfectly honest i think not being a member of a club is a bit of a false economy.we all know how expensive fish keeping can be Re "the pointing of Fingers ", I meant, not by those already in the Buddies club but by those outside of it.
let themIt's the old case of the us and them system, something this country is awash in.
im not trying to create an us and themIt's a forum, yes, I've seen the other Fora on the Web, Movie, Music etc and they have the Private section on their site but they ALWAYS end up as the Old Boys Club, like Masons etc, just post your thoughts on the Shows on the Public medium and maybe you'll engender an atmosphere of sameness where we all feel like we belong.
maybe if we had our own section fist it may bring some members back in first who may go on then to start posting in the public end againKev.

Where in all of that, very difficult to read rebuttal, do you make any reasonable defense of what you want to achieve?

Kev.

More
31 Oct 2011 13:09 #19 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

More
31 Oct 2011 13:19 #20 by john gannon (John Gannon)

yes, at the beginning Separate members from non members. Then separate the white from black, yellow and red, and finally the Irish from foreigners. I do not know what some of you are taking, but I for them small suggestion: Take half the dose or change your dealer.

good luck with the next "genius" ideas. :crazy:

Christopher

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY IM RACIST OR A JUNKIE if so id class that as a personal slant which is against the riules
john

More
31 Oct 2011 13:24 #21 by john gannon (John Gannon)

[quote="jo
Where in all of that, very difficult to read rebuttal, do you make any reasonable defense of what you want to achieve?

Kev.

ive already done that in earlier posts i was simply trying to answer some of your concerns
john

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 13:24 #22 by stretnik (stretnik)
Back a few Weeks or Months ago, a suggestion was put forward re a Chat Room.

This has been mentioned a few times in the past,as Valerie rightly says,there would be for too much valuable information and experience lost in a chatroom.EG,someone would post with a problem,you'd get a few very good replies,but these couldn't be found on the search function. Although,it seems,that function isn't used as often as it could be.

Isn't this somewhat related to what is suggested, things will be discussed and ideas exchanged but none of which will be made available to the rest of the mere posters on a Fish Forum except at the whim of those on high.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 13:28 #23 by stretnik (stretnik)
Separating People via whatever method is deleterious to a successful venture and is exclusive by it's nature..
There is more than enough of this in the World.

Kev.

More
31 Oct 2011 13:29 #24 by JohnH (John)
I personally think this - having started as merely a "Website Suggestion" - is in danger of spiralling out of hand.

Please, lads, cool it - this is not worth the unpleasantness which potentially could arise.

Deep breaths chaps.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 13:37 #25 by stretnik (stretnik)
Sorry J but I have ALWAYS disliked the " us and them " aspect of society and this stinks of it, go have your Members Only meetings off Forum and stay separate to the Forum if that's what it takes to achieve a Paid Members Section but as this is a Forum for like minded people there should be NO exclusivity. No where in the Rules does it state that you need to be a paid Member to access information held on it.

Kev.

More
31 Oct 2011 13:41 #26 by john gannon (John Gannon)

yes, at the beginning Separate members from non members. Then separate the white from black, yellow and red, and finally the Irish from foreigners. I do not know what some of you are taking, but I for them small suggestion: Take half the dose or change your dealer.

good luck with the next "genius" ideas. :crazy:

Christopher

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY IM RACIST OR A JUNKIE if so id class that as a personal slant which is against the riules
john

I do not know why you feel hurt, no one was indicated by me the finger, but if you are indignant, perhaps you have something on your conscience B) . And not to me Take out the rules here, because I have not broken any.

Cheers

chris

PS.

why your first thought was drugs, not a potent painkillers medications????? :whistle:

through your use of the word dealer if you hadve meant painkillers/medications you would have said doctor /pharmachist

More
31 Oct 2011 13:41 #27 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I dont think he s calling you any thing..

he s along the right lines tho if this is the start of the segregation

where will it go next

craig

More
31 Oct 2011 13:43 #28 by john gannon (John Gannon)
is this still the irish tropical fish society forum

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2011 13:46 - 31 Oct 2011 13:59 #29 by stretnik (stretnik)
Yep but not behind closed Doors.

I'm sorry John, I hope you don't think I am being in any way personal but I've witnessed exclusivity over many years, I'm no Spring Chicken, People ostracised due to Colour, Origin, Religion, Political views, Social Class Ad infinitum this is, in my opinion a veiled example of enforced exclusivity, because of need to pay to be included.

It's as bad as me saying, to access certain information, I need to have made 600 Posts otherwise, I am not deemed experienced enough to access same. Obviously this doesn't include the 10 Post rule for first timers because it prevents abuse of the site.

Kev.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 13:59 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
31 Oct 2011 13:52 #30 by john gannon (John Gannon)
so if say at the next itfs agm it was decided that we wanted a private section what would the implications be.dont get me wrong here this would have to be put forward and voted on.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds