Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Social and Rubbish

More
01 Apr 2012 23:27 #1 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Can we have Social and Rubbish section put in to the recent topics please,
I need somewhere to put rubbish and for it to be seen!

Hit thank you if you agree

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2012 23:39 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
the reason it was put there is it was cluttering up the main reason for the forum fishkeeping, hence why its now off recent topics

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2012 08:00 - 02 Apr 2012 08:01 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Social and Rubbish
Why not remove the catagory altogether then Seamus?

Kev.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2012 08:01 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
02 Apr 2012 10:58 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
because thats where people can have their non fish related conversations Kev, its a social and rubbish section so people can have footy, political, religious, non fishkeeping converstions in a section on its own where it dosent interfere with the reason for the forum ie fishkeeping, personally i would like to remove it, but some might want to use it and those who do will check it

Seamus

More
02 Apr 2012 11:23 #5 by CruelCoin (Roy Rentes)
I wouldn't remove it Seamus.

The vast majority of forums carry an "off-topic" section. helps to keep people on the forum without them moving elsewhere to post.

More
02 Apr 2012 11:27 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
not to worry cruelcoin i wont remove it because as you said it does serve a purpose, but it will not be put in the recent topics section as it really isnt about fishkeeping

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2012 12:26 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
The only reason I suggested you remove it altogether was because of the unfairness of the moving of one Thread that was deemed out of place while allowing others in he same Boat to remain, if every Post goes into it's correct catagory, I have no problem but as Valerie stated to me , my topic was best viewd on a website more suited to Political agenda so to speak, so, that kind of negates it's purpose if Gamers, RC fanatics, Paintballers, Football fans etc have to do the same dont' you think?

I appreciate that some other Threads have now been moved but as a Moderator myself, I would have been uncomfortable doing so without without sending the Poster a PM before doing so.

Kev.

More
02 Apr 2012 12:33 #8 by jwm (sean sean)
Just thinkin maybe a Rant section would be interesting. I know we are here for fish keeping, but still we never gonna meet everyone that is a member so would be interesting and funny to hear what gets on yer nerves and ya never know a good rant among friends could keep ya out of trouble. Just a thought.....

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
02 Apr 2012 12:50 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)
do some people not think a more relaxed and friendly forum is a not so professionalisd forum... nothing wrong with a bit of banter and maybe an off-topic laugh for all to see... i for 1 know of lots of people on various forums that only barely frequent them because ye either have to watch what you say, can only post if your comment is directed at the main purpose of the site(in this case fishkeeping) or because their is no off-topic section!! in all honesty who here visits the said topic section frequently enough to aid a member that might need althernative advice??

i think it should be mainstreem along with the fishing section but that ain't gonna happen and eventualy we'll have to watch what we say to asure its not off fishkeeping.... where's the fun in that??

dave

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
02 Apr 2012 14:42 #10 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Every forum becomes stale from time to time and i think a bit of light hearted stuff goes a long way to get members to have a bit of crack!
I'm sure when members meet up in the pub for there monthly meeting they don't drink water! I'm sure they have a few pints and have a laugh.. Saying that I might be wrong some serious people on here ;)

Lighten up, don't come on saying its not going to happen put it to a poll let the members decide

Mark

More
02 Apr 2012 18:48 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I love off-topic banter, and personally feel that it should be a feature of any forum (and that even means a fully professional board of directors as well).

Off-Topic banter and a bit of a laugh is not at all unprofessional. One may profess ones work to an oath, but that does not mean one has to profess ones life to a life without ramblings.

All work and no play means Jack and Jill have missed the point.....that is my motto when I enter a committee meeting at work, and I start to be cautious of those who do not have a sense of humour.

I personally find it quite easy to jump from a good non-fishy topic to a serious fish subject.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
02 Apr 2012 19:54 #12 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Have to say Davey is spot on. I cant stand the thought of having to watch what I say in case I insult someone.
I also dont frequent too many sites and if I couldnt have the odd rant on here I would go mad. :crazy: :P

More
02 Apr 2012 20:14 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
@SpiderMonkey.....well, I drink Tea or Coffee at the society meetings :)......that means that I am well tuned for a good laugh until well past midnight.

At the last meeting we kicked off by discussing the Household charge. I was in my element.
What....able to show off my fish I'd bred, talk about the old-times, and get onto a good old political soapbox.....with a lovely cuppa, and plenty of ciggy breaks??? what could be better?

More
02 Apr 2012 20:35 #14 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

@SpiderMonkey.....well, I drink Tea or Coffee at the society meetings :)......that means that I am well tuned for a good laugh until well past midnight.

At the last meeting we kicked off by discussing the Household charge. I was in my element.
What....able to show off my fish I'd bred, talk about the old-times, and get onto a good old political soapbox.....with a lovely cuppa, and plenty of ciggy breaks??? what could be better?

That's what I'm saying Ian at the meeting you talk about a bit of everything but no the forums Recent Topics is just fish related! Give me a breck

The Social and Rubbish is relegated to a place were no one can find it! Sure if you do find it and post something no one sees it.

More
02 Apr 2012 20:44 #15 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

That's what I'm saying Ian at the meeting you talk about a bit of everything but no the forums Recent Topics is just fish related! Give me a breck

The Social and Rubbish is relegated to a place were no one can find it! Sure if you do find it and post something no one sees it.

I love talking about fish on the forums, but it can become very very tedious without some form of off-topic chat going on.

I will admit that on some other fish forums, most of my posts are about absolute crap that has little to do with fish.

More
02 Apr 2012 21:03 #16 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

I love talking about fish on the forums, but it can become very very tedious without some form of off-topic chat going on.

I will admit that on some other fish forums, most of my posts are about absolute crap that has little to do with fish.

Haha you probably do the same on this forum but nobody sees it ;)

This is turning into a bit of a monster can we have a poll to decide?

More
02 Apr 2012 22:25 #17 by davey_c (dave clarke)

well i didn't even know there was a "social and rubbish" section untill it was pointed out recently on kevs topic... :ohmy: i know but i mightn't have been the only 1 :hammer:

i think a poll is a good idea spidermonkey but anyways for the moment i'm going to have a read through the hidden section of gems to see what laughs i've been missing out on :lol: :cool:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
02 Apr 2012 22:54 #18 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Maybe a compromise would be to place the section higher up the forum listings where it can be seen by people browsing the fishy sections.

Another suggestion of mine is to get rid of "rubbish" from the name of the section and just call it social.If someone posts something that they fell strongly about and then and have it moved to a section called "social and RUBBISH" it might seem a bit insulting.

Cheers Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2012 23:19 #19 by stretnik (stretnik)
That's scary, that's exactly what I thought, it made the effort seem like a waste of time.

Kev.

More
02 Apr 2012 23:22 #20 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Having been on a few UK forums, I see things that look like a topic of 'Fish-Keeping'.....yet when you read it, you think "that ain't fish-keeping, that is shear stupidity".

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds