Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Moderators

More
07 Apr 2012 07:07 #1 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi guys,

Seen as we have alot of new mods ,can we get some competitions and actives going on the forum to bring a bit more life and activity back to it again .

Cheers Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2012 16:27 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
ill post this in the mads/admin section now adn see wat the rest off the lads say

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
08 Apr 2012 20:58 #3 by BillG (Bill Gray)
I would be in favour of getting the likes of the photo competition going again. Or perhaps something like the "guess the fish" posts from Fei. Could put our heads together and post something like a monthly quiz where all correct answers are entered into a draw. Just a few suggestions, I am sure there are more ideas out there too, so interested to hear what people think.
Could approach some of the sponsors too and see about putting up prizes :) I am sure between us; we could get something going to raise the interest as Stuart said. Good input Stuart, thanks :)

Bill.

More
08 Apr 2012 22:08 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Stuart have being talkin to the lads about this and we are lookin into this

we will be lookin for more ideas so if u have any feel free to let us know

thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
08 Apr 2012 23:47 #5 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Yeah i'll get thinking and see what i can come up with, Fei's fish comp seems to be going well, but a more organised and structured one might run a bit better and i would like to see the photo/video comp back up and running again.

One fault with the photo comp in its old form(if i remember correctly)the prize was supplied by a sponsor and then it was given to the winner.the only problem being was that if the prize was for a shop in dublin and i live in cork chances are i'd never get to spend it.so a suggestion would be to have an open arrangement with the sponsors so that who ever won the comp the shop nearest to them would supply the prize.

A lottery is also another way to get people online, if the mods can get monthly info on the top 10 posters on the forum(and i mean real posts not "hello" on the welcome section)Put the 10 names in a hat and pick a winner from that.

I remember some one on here once said to me that it's the quality of the posts that is needed not quantity.But there are alot of guys out there that are just giving away hard earned knowledge for nothing, maybe some kind of reward system for lets say ,best answered post, best written post, best question, most interesting post/link etc.

Obviously all of these comps cannot run concurrently so some kind of comp rotation probably would be best.these are only just idea's on my part feel free to shoot down any that are deemed unsuitable or rejig anything to make it run more smoothly.

One thing i suggested before was an instant chat box/shout box on the forum.Instead of constant PM's being sent and waiting for replies, you can just chat directly with someone you might know who is online at the same time.or even just have a bit of crack and a laugh with the forum members.to be able to have a conversation with someone on a particular subject may make it easier to get a point across.

Cheers Stuart.

More
09 Apr 2012 17:43 #6 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Stuart,

good inputs there, thanks! Believe it or not, they are all ideas already on the table as we have been banging our heads together since you posted the topic. So watch this space :)
Your comments on the competition prizes have been noted too and we have already raised these points and are addressing them too. I know Sean has put in some good work on this front, so i hope I am not stepping on any toes by answering these comments :)

Cheers,

Bill.

More
09 Apr 2012 17:49 #7 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Good stuff , be nice to get a bit more interaction on the site.

Stuart.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2012 19:20 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: New Moderators
Very good Stuart, excellent Ideas.

Kev.

More
09 Apr 2012 20:17 #9 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I agree very good to see see all the ideas people have for the site let's see what we can come up with now :woohoo:

More
09 Apr 2012 21:18 #10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
i am just waitin to here back from all the sponsors and when i do and have an idea from wats wat then all the mods and have a chat and hopefully come up with some great ideas

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
09 Apr 2012 21:20 #11 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

I know Sean has put in some good work on this front, so i hope I am not stepping on any toes by answering these comments

My toes are killin me hahaha no bill not at all it is all off us that are puttin in the work for the site

thanks mate

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds