Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Section Specifically For Micro Inhabitants.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 02:33 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Section Specifically For Micro Inhabitants. was created by stretnik (stretnik)
I just realised that the requirements for Micro Fish based Aquariums are quite specific re their suitability for the smaller environments, their Food requirements and also , something usually overlooked, the scaling of the Setup to reflect their size, ie. miniature types of Plants.

Here is a starter to get the Ball rolling.

www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=97235

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2012 10:20 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Fish such as most Liquorice Gourami, some small Bettas (eg Betta rutilans), Badis, and sparkling gourami are superb fish for a set-up.

Colourful, interesting, but the micro-predators can sometimes be a pain to get established because of their food requirements.

I tend to keep mine in very very mature systems that is left to go a bit wild.....and that helps small micro-food to grow for them. Admittedly, the set-ups do not look pretty with bits of junk here and there and random clumps of this and that, but the fish love the security.

I have 5 freshwater micro-setups (one being some shrimps), 1 marine micro (which is actually just the white shrimps I buy from the 'live food' at a euro for 10 and keep them as pets), and 6 semi-micro set-ups (I say semi-micro as they also contain small specimens of splashing tetras or "retired" Nothobranchius specimens).

Yep....good to get a conversation on the smaller fishy friends going.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
17 Nov 2012 12:57 - 17 Nov 2012 13:03 #3 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
+1

Love micro/small setups, I have myself a solitary green line tetra, (and cannot find companions for him/she?) and I use the tank for some juveniles, wouldn't mind to add other compatible micro fish.
They are a perfect solution for people with limited space, if they had more infos, and support, as opposed to 'goldfish in the bowl' or 'betta in a glass' scenario.

Also, from the article suggested above :
'BENEFITS OF MICROFISH
They’re tiny: Most microfish do not surpass an inch and length. Some are so small you can’t even see them. '

The latter VERY good for people that cannot keep fish alive.... you can always pretend you have some of those 'invisible fish' in there.... :laugh: :woohoo:

I find that keeping a good environment in smaller tank (besides from food requirements for predators) is more difficult that larger tanks, and can go wrong very fast!

One of 'my' problems now is temperature.... when we'll have the section I'll be the first to ask this particular question.... :cool:
Last edit: 17 Nov 2012 13:03 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy).

More
17 Nov 2012 13:21 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
As most of you know Im a fan of the smaller fish, and I think a section for nano type fish would be great. There are so many out there nowadays and with the trend of nano tanks on the up, I think the site should most certainly have a section to reflect this.
Whether people are in favour of nano's or not, they exist and are very popular. Id be in favour as Kev says of doing a micro fish section for the fishkeeper who wants a smaller fish. Anyone who has seen a sparkling gourami will appreciate exactly what we see in smaller fish
Great call Kev.
Gavin

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 14:30 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Section Specifically For Micro Inhabitants.

+1

Love micro/small setups, I have myself a solitary green line tetra, (and cannot find companions for him/she?) and I use the tank for some juveniles, wouldn't mind to add other compatible micro fish.
They are a perfect solution for people with limited space, if they had more infos, and support, as opposed to 'goldfish in the bowl' or 'betta in a glass' scenario.

Also, from the article suggested above :
'BENEFITS OF MICROFISH
They’re tiny: Most microfish do not surpass an inch and length. Some are so small you can’t even see them. '

The latter VERY good for people that cannot keep fish alive.... you can always pretend you have some of those 'invisible fish' in there.... :laugh: :woohoo:

I find that keeping a good environment in smaller tank (besides from food requirements for predators) is more difficult that larger tanks, and can go wrong very fast!

One of 'my' problems now is temperature.... when we'll have the section I'll be the first to ask this particular question.... :cool:

I hear you on the quality control on the Nano tanks which I really love but what about Nano everything in a larger Tank, it could resemble much larger biotopes with the added benefit of a much larger stocking number.

Kev.

More
17 Nov 2012 20:42 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I havent explained my new project yet have I Kev !!!!
Think 500 litre tank and all small fish!!! Could be epic!

Gavin

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2012 02:54 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Section Specifically For Micro Inhabitants.
Well I'm thrilled and am looking forward to seeing how you get on, Honestly Gav, I am really interested, this will be a fabulous project to follow. The possibilities are endless.

Kev.

More
18 Nov 2012 09:21 - 18 Nov 2012 09:25 #8 by joemc (joe mc)
These nano tanks have really found a home in the marketplace, whether it is with someone who has a smaller budget, not much room or just want that 'one more tank / fish'
they also offer the oppertunity to have a whole rack of different setups / biotopes etc in a very small space, the downside that people see is how a small body of water can change very fast. but the upside is how quickly you can do a water change, which should ballence that problem out if you keep an eye on your tanks,i have one one the kitchen floor for the last few months, it houses a few shrimp and a single white cloud fry, here is a pic just to show that tanks don't have to be cubes!

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2012 09:25 by joemc (joe mc).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2012 11:58 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Sweet! I love the Tillandsias too.

Kev.

More
18 Nov 2012 19:39 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
All suggestions welcome Kev, I was wrestling in my own mind what fish I could use as a centre piece but really constantly been drawn back to the smaller micro fish as always!! Lets wait and see, the idea will be to get some nice bogwood, some plants which dont require CO2 and after that I hope I can try to do some justice to the plans I have in my head.

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds